Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #1132  by odin

OHHHH i understand now :blush: :blush: LOL, the decorative shell in your tank? well these shrimp love to hide to feel safe. I would just leave them alone and observe them to make sure all is ok.
 #1134  by odin

that will probably pass, it shouldn't hurt the shrimp, the less you mess around with the tank the faster it will all settle.
 #1136  by odin

how bizarre, I've read of these silk like webs in a couple of new Opae Ula tank setups where a worm or snail has hitchhiked in with the substrate or decorations but they were marine hitchhikers and will probably die soon as they wont survive long in brackish water. Like I said it should clear its self up eventually.
 #1139  by odin

Be sure to wash all the fertiliser off the items before going in side your tank, it contains metals and other stuff that is very bad and toxic to shrimp.
 #1142  by odin

That's great news! I'm sure it will make a full recovery :smile:
 #1144  by odin

I would honestly give it a full month before adding any more shrimp, and probably do a small water change prior to adding them (a few days before) only using marine salt and RO water.

Also keep an eye on the temperature, being on this side of the world it can get pretty cold.

The only way to remove contamination or poisoning is to do a water change (not 100% water change) or do a few smaller ones over a few days.
 #1149  by odin

You could be right, when shrimps get ill or stressed its very hard for the them to make a recovery.
 #1150  by Ann

Sorry about your little guy. I hope things settle down now.
Ann
 #1173  by odin

They look like they are doing fine!
 #1175  by odin

No I wouldn't use baking soda as I've never tried it or looked into it myself, I would purchase a PH buffer liquid/product specifically for fish tanks for the short term use.