Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4172  by Jonny5

Ok. So. I was big into saltwater reef systems. I ran bio pellets in a reactor. Long of the short is that it is a carbon source for bacteria to consume naitrate and phosphate and then produce bio film. Now in a reactor it is designed for the pellets to tumble in a fluidzed reactor and to scuff of old and weak bacteria. The outlet of it is directed to skimmer to remove bacteria.

My finding is most shrimp are belived to feed off bacteria. So if we were to throw a few bio pellets in bottom of tank and allow the shrimp to eat the film off the pellets. Now it wouldn't be a nutrient export like it is designed in reef system. But would be almost endless food supply that would be unable to pollute the water.
 #4173  by odin

This sounds pretty interesting, I will have to do some research my self and look into it. Have you thought about trying it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4175  by Jonny5

I was thinking about trying it out. Can't find any info on it. Someone said about trying it on cherry shrimp but never updated. My problem is I don't have enough to do a control. Not to mention i dont really have enough experience with these guys yet.
 #4177  by Jonny5

It's not as simple as just testing water parameters. We need someone who knows these guys. And knows their actions and activities. Since we won't really see water parameter changes it's not as simple as testing. But if they can feed as much as they want and we don't have to worry about polluting their water in theory they should grow bigger and faster and reproduce more. The all you can eat buffett but out the draw back of having to do water changes to keep parameters good. I know that you don't need to change water with these guys but I think that is because of very controlled feeding.
 #4199  by odin

I agree about the feeding part, one of my tanks i feed fish flake and the water quality isn't as clear and gunk free compared to the tanks i feed with spirulina powder... this stuff doesn't seem to foul the water very easily.
 #4316  by Jonny5

Well I decided to put 1 bio pellet in tank. It's been in tank for maybe 10 minutes and their is 3 shrimp fighting over it.
 #4318  by odin

Sounds like they enjoyed it then. :lol:
 #4319  by Jonny5

After about 2 hours they left it alone. At one point 15 to 20 were swarming it and chasing the others off. Grabbing on to each other and like flipping each other. But today have seen none of them on it. It should take several days for the bacteria to populate the pellet. It was odd that they attacked it like they did. It's not really food. It's pretty much a plastic. Just a carbon source for bacteria to eat. It is said that bacteria are limited because of a carbon source. That's why people dose vinegar or alcohol to their reef tanks. Bio pellets are mantaince free when tumbled in a reactor. But they are tumbled to scuff off old and weak bacteria and flow is directed to skimmer to remove bacteria. But their is romuor the our little shrimp may feed on bacteria. Will give it a week or 2. See what happens and maybe add a few more. Will keep you all updated on anything new that happens.
 #4325  by Jonny5

New one. The other ones are still in use in a huge reactor I built. Had extra to add as they wear down. Did notice that they all seemed to kinda stop by the pellet today.