Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4279  by odin

Hi @Weifoong and welcome to our community forum! That's a very beautiful tank for the Alpha, mine are still going strong and seem happy although i would like to put them in a bigger tank then i have now at some point in time. Congratulations for the berried female Opae ula and if you feel like you need to know something in the future just put up a post on the forum and we will be here to help! :wink:
 #4281  by Weifoong

Hi @opae ula related ,
I bought tank, sand, rocks (I glued n stacked them together), light and moss balls.
As for sea shells were picked at seaside at Malaysia and the big scallop shell was given.
I wash, decorate and fill up brackish water for the tank. :grin:
Design is 100percent original and out of my imagination :wink:
 #4282  by opae ula related

Weifoong wrote:Hi @opae ula related ,
I bought tank, sand, rocks (I glued n stacked them together), light and moss balls.
As for sea shells were picked at seaside at Malaysia and the big scallop shell was given.
I wash, decorate and fill up brackish water for the tank. :grin:
Design is 100percent original and out of my imagination :wink:

Nice! Below is a link of a Singapore seller I was looking at. Maybe it is the same shell.

https://m.facebook.com/SingaporeOpaeUla ... __tn__=C-R
 #4283  by Weifoong

odin wrote: 13 Jan 2018 20:16 Hi @Weifoong and welcome to our community forum! That's a very beautiful tank for the Alpha, mine are still going strong and seem happy although i would like to put them in a bigger tank then i have now at some point in time. Congratulations for the berried female Opae ula and if you feel like you need to know something in the future just put up a post on the forum and we will be here to help! :wink:
Hi Odin,
Can I check what food do you recommend to feed Alpha?
Is it ok to feed them once every two week ?
I heard they like bloodworm and worry about fouling water. I do not have filter in 2L.
I have 1 opae ula and 2alpha in this small tank.
Attachments:
IMG_20180114_085039.jpg
IMG_20180114_085039.jpg (220.81 KiB) Viewed 7346 times
IMG_20180113_160622.jpg
IMG_20180113_160622.jpg (470.81 KiB) Viewed 7346 times
IMG_20180114_083911.jpg
IMG_20180114_083911.jpg (332.64 KiB) Viewed 7346 times
 #4285  by odin

I feed my alpha tank around 8 fish flakes once a week but i have around 20 of them in the tank, they seem happy and eat strait away... produce eggs and all seems fine. Others here feed theirs live food but i have never tried mine on it. Its more of a convenience thing with me. You could try 1 fish flake once a week or every 10 days? see how they do and experiment a little.
 #4287  by Weifoong

odin wrote: 14 Jan 2018 11:01 I feed my alpha tank around 8 fish flakes once a week but i have around 20 of them in the tank, they seem happy and eat strait away... produce eggs and all seems fine. Others here feed theirs live food but i have never tried mine on it. Its more of a convenience thing with me. You could try 1 fish flake once a week or every 10 days? see how they do and experiment a little.
Hi Odin,
Thanks for your tip.
May I check with you on how many alpha can I keep in a 10L tank?
 #4288  by odin

I have roughly 20 in my 20 liter but id say that's pushing it and like i said above i would like them to go into a larger tank which i will do later this year, their tank at the moment is bare bones and what i mean by that is just a large ocean rock in the center with a large hollow under it so they can all hide. I also have half the tank glass covered on the outside by a piece of cardboard to block the light out so this gives them more area to hide in the dark which they seem to enjoy doing until its feeding time.

When i upgrade their tank to a 30 liter minimum i will fit lots of ceramic caves and nooks for them to hide in. So i wouldn't put more then 10 in your 10 liter personally depending how much rock and ornaments you have as this will reduce the amount of water you can store in the tank too. These shrimp like to avoid each other i have noticed so its good to have space for them to avoid each other.
 #4289  by Weifoong

Hi Odin,
Thanks for prompt advice.
I probably get about 5-6 alpha.
I look forward to seeing your bigger home for your alpha soon.. :wink:
 #4290  by odin

No problem, they get their new home when i get mine and im hoping to move in the next few months :lol: :tongue: ... its a waiting game for now lol.