Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4304  by pentux

Hi @Weifoong ,
welcome. yes i would appreciate how you setup your tank. I will also buy some ornaments from aquariums to add into my tank after my tank arrives.

so did u purchase those drinking distilled water and mix it with marine salt to make your brackish water? i have purchased a refractor already but not sure whether i require those water testers...
 #4305  by Weifoong

pentux wrote:Hi @Weifoong ,
welcome. yes i would appreciate how you setup your tank. I will also buy some ornaments from aquariums to add into my tank after my tank arrives.

so did u purchase those drinking distilled water and mix it with marine salt to make your brackish water? i have purchased a refractor already but not sure whether i require those water testers...
Hi @pentux
U can get distilled water from supermarkets n mix it with marine salt (from LFS). Then test salinity with ur hydrometer.
I decided to get a refractometer. Ornaments or anything u need to buy, I can share contact with you n even home breeder contact as they sell opae ula at cheaper rate than shops.
After you set up your tank n start cycling, you need to get test kits to test the water.
For me, I get those liquid test kits to test for ammonia, nitrite and PH. I don't recommend test strips as results maybe inaccurate.
I also dose with nitrifying bacteria to start up my tank..
Perhaps, @odin and other veterans will help give a tip or two to start new tank cycling successfully?
Thanks Weifoong :happy:
Attachments:
Refractometer
Refractometer
IMG_20180118_223026.jpg (679.31 KiB) Viewed 13502 times
Distilled water from sheng shiong
Distilled water from sheng shiong
IMG_20180118_222910.jpg (446.9 KiB) Viewed 13502 times
 #4306  by pentux

Weifoong wrote:Image
pentux wrote:Hi @Weifoong ,

Hi @pentux
U can get distilled water from supermarkets n mix it with marine salt (from LFS). Then test salinity with ur hydrometer.
I decided to get a refractometer. Ornaments or anything u need to buy, I can share contact with you n even home breeder contact as they sell opae ula at cheaper rate than shops.
After you set up your tank n start cycling, you need to get test kits to test the water.
For me, I get those liquid test kits to test for ammonia, nitrite and PH. I don't recommend test strips as results maybe inaccurate.
I also dose with nitrifying bacteria to start up my tank..
Perhaps, @odin and other veterans will help give a tip or two to start new tank cycling successfully?
Thanks Weifoong :happy:
Thanks I have the same refractometer as you!
I thought I could skip having the liquid test kits as they are costly for a starter...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #4307  by pentux

Yes @Weifoong , please pm me the person's contact. I knew someone from Carousell selling some ornaments and opae ula too.
 #4308  by odin

If you need any help setting up and cycling your new tank just put up a post/thread and we will get things going. :smile:
 #4313  by Ann

After flip flopping back and forth, I've finally decided to take the plunge. I will get some Opies. No other shrimp compares. The Forum has grown!
Ann
 #4314  by odin

Ann wrote:After flip flopping back and forth, I've finally decided to take the plunge. I will get some Opies. No other shrimp compares. The Forum has grown!
Ann
That’s great news! Let us know if you need any help :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4320  by Weifoong

Hi @odin ,
Can check with you whether okay to keep larvae with adult opae ula?
I realized I 've more than one berried opae ula... :tongue:
Attachments:
This one has many eggs...:)
This one has many eggs...:)
IMG_20180119_213310.jpg (190.71 KiB) Viewed 13376 times
 #4321  by odin

Oh wow that’s great news that you have berried females! Yes it’s absolutely fine keeping larvae and adults together so no issues there. Keep us all updated on how it progresses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4322  by opae ula related

Ann wrote:After flip flopping back and forth, I've finally decided to take the plunge. I will get some Opies. No other shrimp compares. The Forum has grown!
Ann
Welcome back Ann!