Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4617  by odin

tzg wrote:Hijack a bit, im setting up a new tank and have washed n setup all my interior decor. If i bought the opaes and brackish water from a seller, can i just pour the brackish water and the shrimps into my new tank right away?
It isn't advisable, i would give it a few weeks minimum to be honest.
 #4620  by odin

Ideally yes you do and this is usually apparent when you get algae growing in your tank/on the walls of the glass.
 #4707  by Munchkinmama

Hi,
Just a little update on my Fluval Chi tank. Its been nearly two weeks since it was started and there's now algae growing yay! I've added two nerite snails a week ago and theyre feeding and moving happily. The algae is growing on the tops of some decorations and there's a kind of rainbow film on the water. I've also got five moss balls which are releasing little air bubbles so hopefully it's all going the right way!!!
 #4709  by odin

It sounds like all is going to plan there! That is biofilm on the surface and don’t be worried if it turns a bit murky or gunky looking as that is normal too and shrimp love eating that.

Your water may turn milky/hazy at some point and that is normal too, may take a week or 2 to disappear as this is a bacterial bloom. Keep us all updated!