Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #1238  by Ann

I've researched on the Internet for hours and have found nothing but opposing viewpoints on distilled water. Some people feel that as long as the water is bottled, it's fine to use. Some companies add back ingredients after distillation. There are companies who bottle municipal tap water and sell that. Prices run ridiculously low to astronomically high. High price doesn't equal high quality either. I'm just looking for distilled water that will suit Opae Ula shrimp Any suggestions?
Ann
 #1239  by odin

Hey Ann, I cant really answer this question because distilled water isn't very well known over here in the UK and isn't available in all shops like it is in the US. You will always find conflicting opinions of it because as you stated it can have things added to it depending on brand etc. The best advice I can give is to study and read up on the brands you have available or just go the RO water route from a pet store. I'm sure someone else will be along to help with this question who knows more about it then me. :happy:
 #1240  by Ann

Thanks, Odin. Last night I saw a brand that most people like I just have to buy some and test it. In my area, we have few aquarium shops. We have the big chains forcing them out. I would have to have an RO system installed or a distilled water machine. Most salt water aquarium keepers do not have to be as fussy because the fish are not as sensitive as Opae Ula. I have to find the perfect water before I keep Opae Ula. Thanks for your help!
Ann
 #1241  by odin

You may only need to fill the tank up once and that's it, only requiring you to buy RO once :sidesmile:
 #1243  by odin

Absolutely, take a read of my setup guides and its all explained in there about the water sources to use and stay away from. I cant list tap water as safe on my forum because it differentiates from country/county/planet :nerner:
Copper does indeed kill shrimp they are VERY sensitive to it, the shrimp may tolerate some trace metals and chlorine etc if you are lucky but you will most likely never get successful breeding, the larvae will die pretty fast if you ever get to that stage.

The main issue is when you get evaporation and refill the tank with clean tap water (top offs) you will introduce more trace metals and chemicals into the tank, this will eventually lead to the tank being overloaded with what ever is in the water source and it will become more and more concentrated as time goes on and you make regular topoffs, the added harmful things in the water don't get removed by evaporation like the water does so it all remains in the tank and after it builds up to a lethal level you will get dead shrimps.
 #1244  by Ann

LOL Are you guys debating? A+ for both of you. I live on the east coast, New Jersey, to be specific. In NJ, all public water utilities must add chlorine by law. I think that you live on the west coast, where there is not as much industry and the water is much cleaner. I've read both sides to the copper controversy. I have no experience and know nothing about this myself. I'm going to buy Misty Mountain distilled water and learn how to test it.
Ann :upsidedown:
 #1245  by odin

Id like to add with regards the PH thing mentioned, you need an item that will buffer your waters PH up to around 8.0 - 8.4. You tanks water will become acidic on its own over time so even if you start off with water thats got a perfect PH to start out it will drop and become acidic on its own.
 #1246  by Ann

The ocean and volcanic rocks take care of that, right?
Ann :grin: :smile:
 #1247  by odin

Ann wrote:The ocean and volcanic rocks take care of that, right?
Ann :grin: :smile:
Just the Ocean rock out of those two, if you have that you will have zero issues.
 #1248  by Ann

Yay! Another obsessive compulsive issue resolved.
Ann :sidesmile: