Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #1251  by Ann

Many years ago there was a mercury scare about eating tuna fish. The waters were polluted with mercury from industry. We were warned about the perils of eating tuna. I remember being in chemistry class when a student asked the teacher how much could he eat before it would cause him problems. The teacher gave the student a deadpan look and told if it was harmful, then why would he consider eating any amount.
That's how I feel about the water that goes into my shrimp tank. If I could find bottled water that had even one less partculate of harmful additives, then that's the water that I would choose no matter what good results others are having with tap water.
Ann
 #1254  by odin

@Haduvokone you put to much faith in your water company, from time to time they like to flush their systems with chemicles that may not be harmful to humans in small amounts but deadly to wildlife, why take the risk? Shrimp keepers for decades have used filtered water for shrimp keeping for a reason, a few shrimp species like cherry shrimp can usually tolerate tap water if it has been dechloriniated but they are extremely hardy. The issue is every time you use tap water you are playing Russian roulette with your tank and shrimp. Its not just copper in the tap water you need to be weary of. You have been warned :smile:
 #1256  by Ann

I do know that some things are out of my control, but what I can control, I will. There are lead problems also Many school districts have turned off water fountains in schools until they have control over the unacceptable levels of lead that the state has found in the water.
Annj
 #1281  by Ann

Have finally decided on Misty Mountain distilled water available from Amazon.com.
It seems to be the safest that I could find.
Ann
 #1282  by odin

Sounds like your shopping list is almost complete :happy:
 #1284  by Ann

I still need a ton of stuff. I guess starting from nothing is very time consuming. I still need things moved out and around. I can't do that, so that slows things down a bit.
Ann :upsidedown: