Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #2248  by Priscilla

Hi guys!

I was just staring at my tank and suddenly 7 out of 20 shrimps came out of the cave and started swimming / hopping around the tank. Does anyone know what's happening here?
It's been going on for about 10 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #2249  by odin

They do this now and again so i wouldn't worry about it just yet, if they don't calm down after a good half a day then maybe test your water parameters or look at anything you may of added to the tank recently. I usually find that one or two shrimp will start to freak out over nothing and this has a knock on effect to the rest of the tanks population and they all start freaking out too lol.
 #2250  by Priscilla

odin wrote:They do this now and again so i wouldn't worry about it just yet, if they don't calm down after a good half a day then maybe test your water parameters or look at anything you may of added to the tank recently. I usually find that one or two shrimp will start to freak out over nothing and this has a knock on effect to the rest of the tanks population and they all start freaking out too lol.
Oh okay! I thought they were trying to breed, like finding the female (I googled after the prev post). Now they're calm and back into the cave. And my tank is "lifeless" again.

#2251  by odin

From what I have observed if they chase each other this is a mating thing but when they swim around franticly they are probably stressed out over something.
 #2252  by Priscilla

odin wrote:From what I have observed if they chase each other this is a mating thing but when they swim around franticly they are probably stressed out over something.
Oh okay! Anw, I'm just curious, after they mate, how long will it take for eggs to show on the female?

#2253  by odin

I'm really not sure about that, when you see them carry eggs they will hold onto them for roughly 5ish weeks. You will have to just keep an eye on them and see if you notice any of them start to 'swell' in the body or get a bit fatter etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #2254  by Priscilla

odin wrote:I'm really not sure about that, when you see them carry eggs they will hold onto them for roughly 5ish weeks. You will have to just keep an eye on them and see if you notice any of them start to 'swell' in the body or get a bit fatter etc.

Ah I see. Btw, are opae ulas very uncommon? Cuz informations on them don't seem to be widely available on the internet. :huh:
 #2255  by odin

Yup they are pretty uncommon, that's why there isn't much information or research out there about them. What we know is what we have seen in our tanks from past experience.
 #2258  by Priscilla

odin wrote:Yup they are pretty uncommon, that's why there isn't much information or research out there about them. What we know is what we have seen in our tanks from past experience.
I thought they would be quite popular since they're super interesting to observe and have long life spans! :happy:
 #2259  by odin

Priscilla wrote:
odin wrote:Yup they are pretty uncommon, that's why there isn't much information or research out there about them. What we know is what we have seen in our tanks from past experience.
I thought they would be quite popular since they're super interesting to observe and have long life spans! :happy:
Let's hope our forum helps spread the word about the Opae ula shrimp :)