Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #2625  by HelloWorld

opae ula related wrote:Image

Agree, no issues with poop.

hmm, just noticed some air bubbles in that pic. Odin, do you think it is methane gas pockets? I don't think I smell rotten eggs.
well if you smell rotten eggs i think they've probably died
 #2628  by odin

Interesting stuff i think 'anerobic gas pockets' are Nitrates/Nitrogen building up under then sands surface which builds up and collects,

Here is a few interesting videos to watch about the sand issues:

Last edited by odin on 21 Jan 2017 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
 #2629  by HelloWorld

odin wrote:Interesting stuff i think 'anerobic gas pockets' are Nitrates/Nitrogen building up under then sands surface which builds up and collects,

Here is a few interesting videos to watch about the sand issues:

Wow, that's really troublesome if there were anaerobic pockets. we'll definitely disturb and shock the opae ulas to clean the tank.
 #2630  by HelloWorld

opae ula related wrote:Image

Agree, no issues with poop.

hmm, just noticed some air bubbles in that pic. Odin, do you think it is methane gas pockets? I don't think I smell rotten eggs.
btw, my old sand bed also used to have these brown stuff growing.
 #2631  by odin

Being perfectly honest i wouldn't worry too much about this, you don't have a huge thickness of sand and you wont be feeding the tank much (hardly ever).
 #2634  by opae ula related

odin wrote:Being perfectly honest i wouldn't worry too much about this, you don't have a huge thickness of sand and you wont be feeding the tank much (hardly ever).
I agree. Just realized the bubbles are less than .5mm so really tiny. The picture I had was misleading in the size.

The below article I think is extreme where all the fish died in 30 seconds when large bubbles came out of the disturbed substrate.

https://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/t ... tely.9863/
 #2636  by odin

It could also be oxygen being released from algae or other plant matter within your sand.