Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #2577  by HelloWorld

Hi all,

Greetings. I'm new to the forum but I've been browsing this forum for more than half a year :D . Anyway, I have a Berried shrimp right now. Was wondering how to care after it dropped it's eggs. Do I need to do anything?
 #2579  by odin

Welcome to our forum @HelloWorld ! Exciting times when you get berried shrimp indeed, with the shrimp you don't need to do anything different at all prior, during or after the eggs are released. Be sure to keep on top of water topoffs if you get a lot of evaporation and that's about it. That is a brilliant photo by the way, what sort of rock is that you have? Thanks for the share and if you need anything else don't be afraid to ask more questions.
 #2583  by HelloWorld

Thanks odin! Photo was taken using Samsung s7 edge. Stone is dragonstone if I remember correctly. I've noticed the eggs have disappeared from the Berried opae ula. But I don't see and eggs on the bed or anywhere :sad2: how long does the eggs take to hatch. Maybe I'll monitor and see. The eggs won't be eaten by other shrimpside and horned nerite snail right?
 #2584  by odin

Ahhh sorry to hear she dropped her eggs, unfortunately when they are dropped then they usually go bad and rot away within 24 hours. This is because the mother isn't moving them around like she did when carrying them.

I'm sure you will want to know why she dropped them and it pretty much can come down to either it was one of her first clutches of eggs and they do just drop them sometimes or your tank isn't as mature as it needs to be. Just hang in there and I'm sure she will become berried again, we all have Opae ulas that drop eggs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #2585  by odin

Just to add, the eggs get carried by the mother for around 5 weeks, after that the eggs hatch/turn into larvae that then get released and from there float/swim around the tank for roughly 2 weeks before they turn into fully fledged shrimps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Last edited by odin on 16 Jan 2017 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
 #2590  by odin

opae ula related wrote:Btw, nice tank. Is that wire on one of the lava rocks?
I would like to know that too, or is it fishing line?