Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #2602  by odin

Like other shrimp the female can receive the sperm after moulting, that is why you will see your male shrimp swim around in a sort of frenzy when there is females who have moulted recently because they must know somehow that the female is ready to mate at this point. They swim around (all the males) looking for that female and will go on to harass, i mean mate with her. I'm not sure if the female can carry sperm for any length of time to use as needed but that would need to be proven or debunked, that's why i asked how long you have had your shrimp for. :happy:
Last edited by odin on 17 Jan 2017 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
 #2609  by HelloWorld

odin wrote:Like other shrimp the female can receive the sperm after moulting, that is why you will see your male shrimp swim around in a sort of frenzy when there is females who have moulted recently because they must know somehow that the female is ready to mate at this point. They swim around (all the males) looking for that female and will go on to harass, i mean mate with her. I'm not sure if the female can carry sperm for any length of time to use as needed but that would need to be proven or debunked, that's why i asked how long you have had your shrimp for. :happy:
Ohh ic. Damn if they nvr moult means they'll nvr get berried with eggs. Anyway i tied the fishing line i removed from the rock previously and tied it onto a feeding rock i call it. then i rubbed the powder onto the rock so that it sticks and dip the rock in.when they're done feeding i'll just take it out with the fishing line haha
 #2610  by HelloWorld

i've realised my tank has a lot of poop from shrimp and the snail. is there anyway to get rid of using natural means as im afraid the poop might pollute the water
 #2612  by HelloWorld

opae ula related wrote:Ha, that's a first I seen on feeding with a fishing line. Image
Yep, fishing for shrimps with spirulina bait
 #2613  by odin

HelloWorld wrote:i've realised my tank has a lot of poop from shrimp and the snail. is there anyway to get rid of using natural means as im afraid the poop might pollute the water
Good question, when I first got into keeping Opae ula shrimp I too worried about this but what I've learnt as I've gone along is that there isn't much to worry about with the quantity of shrimp and snail poop in the tank, as it breaks down it will in turn be made into nitrates and feed the algae in your tank. If you want to know a bit more you can always buy a water quality testing kit and by measuring the Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. This way you can eliminate any concerns if you have them, honestly though I wouldn't worry about it fouling water in the numbers of snails and shrimp you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Last edited by odin on 18 Jan 2017 16:58, edited 2 times in total.
 #2614  by opae ula related

Maybe a first, create a poop station on a lava rock with a fish line. Reel it up when full.
 #2618  by HelloWorld

odin wrote:
Good question, when I first got into keeping Opae ula shrimp I too worried about this but what I've learnt as I've gone along is that there isn't much to worry about with the quantity of shrimp and snail poop in the tank, as it breaks down it will in turn be made into nitrates and feed the algae in your tank. If you want to know a bit more you can always buy a water quality testing kit and by measuring the Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. This way you can eliminate any concerns if you have them, honestly though I wouldn't worry about it fouling water in the numbers of snails and shrimp you have.

Alright, nothing to worry about. Got my salt water master test kit already haha.
 #2619  by odin

Excellent, can't beat being prepared :)

#2623  by opae ula related

Agree, no issues with poop.

hmm, just noticed some air bubbles in that pic. Odin, do you think it is methane gas pockets? I don't think I smell rotten eggs.
Last edited by opae ula related on 19 Jan 2017 20:00, edited 1 time in total.