Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #2733  by Opaeforms

I'm not sure if there's been a post on this already but with Neocaridina heteropoda (Cherry shrimp) there are tons of different colour varieties that have been created by selective breeding. Blue jelly, Orange, Yellow, Chocolate and Rilli to name a few.

I just wondered why this hasn't happened with Opae Ula? Perhaps it's due to their slow life cycle? Does anyone think this is possible with these shrimp? Perhaps as they gain popularity this is something that will inevitably happen?
Last edited by Opaeforms on 17 Feb 2017 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
 #2735  by odin

Great post! I do think the slow reproduction rate does play a big part in breeding lines. You do get some Opae ula that are orange-ish and white-ish and banded etc which im sure you could enhance if you selectively breed. I setup a few tanks but it was so long going i gave up in the end, maybe i will try again at some point when i have the space for more tanks :smile:
 #2739  by opae ula related

Odin, maybe one day you will find a rare color genetic mutation from the normal white to red & in between from your breeding tank. :cool:
 #2743  by odin

Im hoping to have an outside shed soon that i can keep many tanks in and if that goes ahead i will be more then happy to try again! :lol: