Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #2972  by Edwid

I just moved 4 of my shrimps from a small 2 liter tank to the new 8 liter tank but I forgot all about acclimating them. Will this kill them? I just wanted to test the water by putting them in to see if everything okay before putting the bulk of shrimps that I have ordered which will come in about 1 week.

Currently they are all pale from all the shock of catching them and transferring them and are considerably active exploring all the caves and nooks and crannies of the tank. Is that a bad sign of things? Or is it normal for them to do this?

I'll observe and update again in another 4 hours.

Should I take them out? Is there any danger leaving them in? Please advise!
Last edited by Edwid on 04 Apr 2017 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
 #2973  by odin

These shrimp are highly adaptable and deal with swings in SG so I wouldn't worry, as long as you used the correct salt and it's not pure strength marine water you won't have any issues.
 #2974  by Edwid

Yeah. SG should be about the same. They are far less active than at the start where they are swimming round and across the tank. Right now, they are just moving in and out of the holes. Hope they are enjoying their new home as much as I did looking at them and hope their colours return soon. Also, I hope the 4 remaining shrimps in my old tank are coping well with the loss of 4 members and a slightly changed landscape when I tried to catch them earlier.
 #2982  by odin

If they have calmed down a lot and stopped racing around that is a good sign.
 #2984  by Edwid

1 day in their new tank. I still see them swimming about which is something I'm not as used to since probably it's not much fun swimming in a small tank and there's not much distance to cover too. Sadly I do not think their colours are as red as they should be.

I left the lights on for about 14 hours today as I came home late from work. Does light make them uncomfortable?

How long do they take usually to acclimate?
Last edited by Edwid on 05 Apr 2017 15:39, edited 2 times in total.
 #2995  by odin

If they have survived this long i wouldn't worry at all, they will just take a few days or so to get used to their new, weird and wonderful world you have moved them too!
 #2997  by Edwid

Thanks Odin :happy:

If all goes well for these pioneers, I'll release the incoming batch of about 40 opaes into this new tank as well! Exciting times ahead!