Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #149  by Marko2

I'm trying to find some macro algae that can survive the brackish conditions. I've heard of people using Chaeto with their Opae Ula ,is it the same as Chaetomorpha Chaeto sold as a Algae Marine Nitrate Reducer?
 #150  by odin

The chaeto that you use in marine sumps may survive a small while in brackish water but will die off eventually. I had no such luck with it, hair algae will survive brackish water but if you don't keep an eye on it the stuff can start taking over the tank.

They sell the macro algae that would survive in brackish water in the US but i haven't found any over this side of the pond unfortunately.
 #151  by odin

Here is a few shots of the hair algae in my tank,
DSC00542.JPG
DSC00542.JPG (1.96 MiB) Viewed 10980 times
DSC00541.JPG
DSC00541.JPG (1.62 MiB) Viewed 10980 times
DSC00540.JPG
DSC00540.JPG (1.58 MiB) Viewed 10980 times
DSC00539.JPG
DSC00539.JPG (1.84 MiB) Viewed 10980 times
 #314  by odin

I've tried to buy from them but they don't offer postage to the United Kingdom. I've emailed them a few times about international postage but I never got a reply :upset:

Thanks for looking though!
 #453  by odin

Not yet :upset:
How about yourself?
 #454  by Marko2

Only some algae growing down the estuary by me, might try some in the green house in brackish water
 #455  by odin

Maybe we can find a nice friendly person to buy some and send it over to us and pay them a little extra for their time :lol: