Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4053  by Jlynniesue

Can you lovely folks tell me the safest and least stressful way to catch and transfer your opae ula?
When I received my opae ula order of 35 shrimp they were contained in a small water bottle with a clip of screen material to hold onto. When pouring them into the tank, it left several stuck to the sides and neck of the bottle. I was flipping out over trying to rescue them without harm.
What’s your best method?
Have any of you moved shrimp while berried without harm to them?
 #4056  by odin

I agree, can you put the whole container in your tank and let them swim free? If not then all you can do is have some tank water ready to pour back into the container and free the shrimp that get stuck to the sides and then pour again and hope enter the tank.
 #4060  by odin

To move Shrimp I use a net and place my hand over the opening while moving them to the new tank, my tanks are next to each other. For larvae I use a glass Shrimp catcher. You can buy really small Shrimp nets and with this you could use a large jug/jar and move them into the jar via a net then move the jar to the room with their new tank and either pour them in slow or like mentioned above just place the container in the tank and let them swim out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4110  by odin

The glass shrimp catchers look like over sized glass tobacco smoking pipes :smile: The theory behind them is the shrimp don't see it in the water as its clear and you can scoop them up inside as it holds water at the same time. problem is Opae ula must sense water movement and dart away so they are still hard to catch, i use a small shrimp net to catch shrimp mostly but use the glass shrimp catcher to catch larvae as its very easy and you dont damage the larvae.

Here is a glass catcher: