Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4074  by Jonny5

I have found a lot of mixed details about plants in brackish. Most stuff I find says 1.008 is max salinity. What kind of plants is everyone planting and salinity. Looking for good easy care plants. need to stay low as my tank is not very tall. Also low mantaince because I only have a 6x4 inch hole in top to work through inside tanks. I added pic so you guys know what I am working with. 6 gallon. Probably medium light but light is o my in center. Thanks.
Attachments:
1511833229790322682930.jpg
1511833229790322682930.jpg (334.85 KiB) Viewed 9151 times
 #4080  by odin

People have had success with marimo balls, and macro algae’s which is a good place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4083  by Jonny5

Thanks for the link but it shows a site I already found. Pretty much nothing in brackish. I have some chaetomorpha and caulerpa in my reef sump but findings is they don't do well in around 1.008 to 1.010. Makes me wonder if my dwarf hair grass is starting to die. Everyone says best salinity is around 1.010 and everyone has plants in their tanks but all online research shows nothing will do good in that salinity range. Am I missing something?
 #4085  by opae ula related

Well like Odin said marimo balls and macro algae is proven to work. Look at his tanks. :sidesmile:
 #4089  by Jonny5

Was going to try the moss balls. They have them labeled as betta buddies. 3 small ones for like $10. Will have to try to acclimate them. Also looks like he has chaetomorpha. Will try to try that 2 but it grows out of control in reef sump. But using it as nutrient reduction. He also has hair algae. I have struggled and fought that stuff non stop in reef tank. Stuff is such a pain in the a$$ in reef systems. Just grows out of control. You tube it in reef tanks. Unless by some chance it's not so bad in opae ula tanks.
 #5547  by odin

Marko2 wrote:

here's a interesting plant, any idea what it is?
ask @opae ula related its one of his videos and tanks :lol: