Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4129  by Priscilla

odin wrote: 03 Dec 2017 10:17 I wouldn't think the tweezers are the issue, i use a small net that has some small rust on it and i have not encountered any issues. If the shrimp pick up and are ok in the fresh water you have them in then its a sign that something has made its way into their tank water in which case you will need to empty the water out of it and refill it with clean brackish water. If you do this quickly you shouldn't lose too much of you colonized bacteria on your tank as it lives mostly in the substrate.

edit: i wouldn't add anything to the tank to help them moult.
I feel so helpless now. I'm just gna wash the whole tank and do what u say about adding new brackish water.

Now all of them are kinda inactive, red, but not swimming about. The 2 adults are still lying on their sides, not dead and not really alive .

How do we ensure that the shrimps have the necessary minerals in the water?
 #4130  by odin

Don't worry about it @Priscilla these things happen unfortunately, get a bucket and fill it with RO/Distilled water and pull items out of your tank one by one and just swirl/dunk it in the bucket, add your sand and sift it around a fair bit. Pour some water in your empty tank and swirl it around and empty it out. Get everything back in the tank and fill it with brackish water and wait a day or so for it to come up to temperature then add the shrimp again.

edit: Does your tank have a lid? A lid will keep future contaminants out, also don't worry about the minerals as the salt will include everything needed.
 #4131  by Priscilla

odin wrote: 03 Dec 2017 10:47 Don't worry about it @Priscilla these things happen unfortunately, get a bucket and fill it with RO/Distilled water and pull items out of your tank one by one and just swirl/dunk it in the bucket, add your sand and sift it around a fair bit. Pour some water in your empty tank and swirl it around and empty it out. Get everything back in the tank and fill it with brackish water and wait a day or so for it to come up to temperature then add the shrimp again.

edit: Does your tank have a lid? A lid will keep future contaminants out, also don't worry about the minerals as the salt will include everything needed.
Do I have to recycle the tank again? I have a lid but it’s not air right as I have a 2 protruding stands for the light to sit nicely on the tank.

Is it a must to have algae in the tank before putting the shrimps in?
 #4132  by odin

You should keep some of the beneficial bacteria when changing the tank over so-long as you do it quickly and dont let anything dry out, You will know if the tank is having to re cycle by testing for ammonia and if you get some readings then you will have do partial water changes to keep it down. You dont need to wait for algae to grow but its just an indicator the tank has probably finished its cycle.
 #4133  by Priscilla

odin wrote: 03 Dec 2017 10:56 You should keep some of the beneficial bacteria when changing the tank over so-long as you do it quickly and dont let anything dry out, You will know if the tank is having to re cycle by testing for ammonia and if you get some readings then you will have do partial water changes to keep it down. You dont need to wait for algae to grow but its just an indicator the tank has probably finished its cycle.
After adding water and everything back into the tank, should I add some beneficial bacteria in it?

Just to make sure, are opae ulas naturally active creatures even when there is light? Are they nocturnal?
 #4134  by odin

What beneficial bacteria source are you thinking of using? My shrimp are out constantly grazing for food in the day so i wouldn't think they are nocturnal.
 #4135  by Priscilla

odin wrote: 03 Dec 2017 11:01 What beneficial bacteria source are you thinking of using? My shrimp are out constantly grazing for food in the day so i wouldn't think they are nocturnal.
I’m using the microbe-lift special blend. Thought of dropping a few drops and let the tank sit for about a week before adding them back.

Now the adult shrimp is lying down, occasionally popcorning and moving it’s front legs, I don’t know what to do with him :(
 #4136  by odin

Have them in clean brackish water and hope for the best, not much more you can do.
 #4137  by Priscilla

odin wrote: 03 Dec 2017 11:47 Have them in clean brackish water and hope for the best, not much more you can do.
They are alr in new brackish since morning. I hope they will survive :upset:

How long do I have to wait before letting them back into the main tank?
 #4138  by odin

Id get fresh brackish water in the tank strait away and as soon as its come up to the temperature you want then add them in strait away.