Opaeula.co.uk

THE forum and online store dedicated to Halocaridina rubra aka the Hawaiian Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #3471  by Futtergarnele
 24 Jun 2017 10:56
Hello my name is Tobias,
I am from Germany, my English is not the best and I finally got some Opae Ula in March 2017 after 2 years of "preparation" for my 90 litre tank.
I found the website a few weeks ago but only read the articles. Hopefully I will become more active here now with my 24 larva and a third berried female.

One question: "Do I need to feed the larva with additional food, or will they find enough in my two year old algae tank?"
killifish100 liked this
 #3472  by odin
 24 Jun 2017 11:47
Futtergarnele wrote:Hello my name is Tobias,
I am from Germany, my English is not the best and I finally got some Opae Ula in March 2017 after 2 years of "preparation" for my 90 litre tank.
I found the website a few weeks ago but only read the articles. Hopefully I will become more active here now with my 24 larva and a third berried female.

One question: "Do I need to feed the larva with additional food, or will they find enough in my two year old algae tank?"

Welcome to the Opae ula forums! That is a great tank you have and you must be doing a fine job with the shrimp as they are breeding. With the larvae you don't need to feed them, they will feed from an 'on board' supply of food they carry in a yolk sac, after a few weeks they will morph into small shrimp and you will see them sitting on the tank walls for a while then they will disappear and hide until they get bigger so don't worry if you don't seem them.