Opaeula.co.uk

THE forum and online store dedicated to Halocaridina rubra aka the Hawaiian Opae ula shrimp! 

■ Our Opae ula shrimp web store is now open! We are selling Opae ula Shrimp via our eBay store HERE
This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4304  by pentux
 18 Jan 2018 06:51
Hi @Weifoong ,
welcome. yes i would appreciate how you setup your tank. I will also buy some ornaments from aquariums to add into my tank after my tank arrives.

so did u purchase those drinking distilled water and mix it with marine salt to make your brackish water? i have purchased a refractor already but not sure whether i require those water testers...
 #4305  by Weifoong
 18 Jan 2018 14:55
Image
pentux wrote:Hi @Weifoong ,
welcome. yes i would appreciate how you setup your tank. I will also buy some ornaments from aquariums to add into my tank after my tank arrives.

so did u purchase those drinking distilled water and mix it with marine salt to make your brackish water? i have purchased a refractor already but not sure whether i require those water testers...
Hi @pentux
U can get distilled water from supermarkets n mix it with marine salt (from LFS).
IMG_20180118_222910.jpg
Distilled water from sheng shiong
Then test salinity with ur hydrometer.
I decided to get a refractometer.
IMG_20180118_223026.jpg
Refractometer
Ornaments or anything u need to buy, I can share contact with you n even home breeder contact as they sell opae ula at cheaper rate than shops.
After you set up your tank n start cycling, you need to get test kits to test the water.
For me, I get those liquid test kits to test for ammonia, nitrite and PH. I don't recommend test strips as results maybe inaccurate.
I also dose with nitrifying bacteria to start up my tank..
Perhaps, @odin and other veterans will help give a tip or two to start new tank cycling successfully?
Thanks Weifoong :happy:
 #4306  by pentux
 19 Jan 2018 01:06
Weifoong wrote:Image
pentux wrote:Hi @Weifoong ,
welcome. yes i would appreciate how you setup your tank. I will also buy some ornaments from aquariums to add into my tank after my tank arrives.

so did u purchase those drinking distilled water and mix it with marine salt to make your brackish water? i have purchased a refractor already but not sure whether i require those water testers...
Hi @pentux
U can get distilled water from supermarkets n mix it with marine salt (from LFS).
IMG_20180118_222910.jpg
Then test salinity with ur hydrometer.
I decided to get a refractometer.
IMG_20180118_223026.jpg
Ornaments or anything u need to buy, I can share contact with you n even home breeder contact as they sell opae ula at cheaper rate than shops.
After you set up your tank n start cycling, you need to get test kits to test the water.
For me, I get those liquid test kits to test for ammonia, nitrite and PH. I don't recommend test strips as results maybe inaccurate.
I also dose with nitrifying bacteria to start up my tank..
Perhaps, @odin and other veterans will help give a tip or two to start new tank cycling successfully?
Thanks Weifoong :happy:
Thanks I have the same refractometer as you!
I thought I could skip having the liquid test kits as they are costly for a starter...



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #4307  by pentux
 19 Jan 2018 01:53
Yes @Weifoong , please pm me the person's contact. I knew someone from Carousell selling some ornaments and opae ula too.
 #4308  by odin
 19 Jan 2018 09:57
If you need any help setting up and cycling your new tank just put up a post/thread and we will get things going. :smile:
 #4313  by Ann
 20 Jan 2018 23:31
After flip flopping back and forth, I've finally decided to take the plunge. I will get some Opies. No other shrimp compares. The Forum has grown!
Ann
odin liked this
 #4314  by odin
 21 Jan 2018 00:56
Ann wrote:After flip flopping back and forth, I've finally decided to take the plunge. I will get some Opies. No other shrimp compares. The Forum has grown!
Ann
That’s great news! Let us know if you need any help :)



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4320  by Weifoong
 23 Jan 2018 04:42
Hi @odin ,
Can check with you whether okay to keep larvae with adult opae ula?
I realized I 've more than one berried opae ula... :tongue:
IMG_20180119_213310.jpg
This one has many eggs...:)
 #4321  by odin
 23 Jan 2018 10:05
Oh wow that’s great news that you have berried females! Yes it’s absolutely fine keeping larvae and adults together so no issues there. Keep us all updated on how it progresses


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Weifoong liked this
 #4322  by opae ula related
 23 Jan 2018 15:37
Ann wrote:After flip flopping back and forth, I've finally decided to take the plunge. I will get some Opies. No other shrimp compares. The Forum has grown!
Ann
Welcome back Ann!
Ann liked this
  • 1
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15