Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #49  by odin

I put a video up above, and here is a shot of one with 2 bands, Ive got around 6 separated and have a few more to move from my community tank. When you net one or two all the shrimp in the tank turn pale and its hard to spot more banded ones until they red up again :)
Attachments:
02.jpg
02.jpg (273.06 KiB) Viewed 10109 times
 #50  by opae ula related

odin wrote:That's an awesome close up! what camera are you using? im hoping they produce offspring with bands, here is a quick video of one before i separated them into their own tank.

[youtube]wPGkEZeO_AQ[/youtube]

With the yellow on your shrimp its always hard to tell as the internals seem to be all shapes colour and sizes depending on the shrimp, maybe she is carrying ;)

Cool vid. I see it.
I am only using an iphone 6 with a macro lens attachment that was giving to me.
 #51  by opae ula related

odin wrote:I put a video up above, and here is a shot of one with 2 bands, Ive got around 6 separated and have a few more to move from my community tank. When you net one or two all the shrimp in the tank turn pale and its hard to spot more banded ones until they red up again :)

Cool. Never saw a 2 band one.

I have a smaller tank with alpha opae ula with a male and a female. the alpha female was berried once but never saw the larvae.
 #52  by odin

oh awesome! id love some alphas but i don't really know to much about their tank requirements.
 #53  by opae ula related

odin wrote:oh awesome! id love some alphas but i don't really know to much about their tank requirements.
since they lived together in the natural, it is the same. they always hide though. i recorded the female once roaming around.

[youtube]Ar6qyzBVN9s[/youtube]
 #54  by odin

Do you just have the 2? ive seen they are pretty hard to get a hold of. Maybe one day i will get some :)
Would they attack normal Opae'ula in the same tank?
 #55  by opae ula related

odin wrote:Do you just have the 2? ive seen they are pretty hard to get a hold of. Maybe one day i will get some :)
Would they attack normal Opae'ula in the same tank?
yes, just the two. when she was berried i moved the opae ula and tankmates into their own 7.5 g tank hoping it won't stress the alpha. yes, they are called alpha for a reason ;) , the opae ula would "popcorn" or move out of there way when the alpha move/walked around. what's cool is alpha can walk/move backwards and is sensitive to light. if i shine a flashlight, they sense it and hide compared to opae ula where they don't seem to sense it that much.

now just the two in their own tank with two hawaiian draft snails. they just hide all the time and i think they come out at night mostly. vampire shrimp :lol:
 #56  by odin

Sounds interesting! I may have to get some this summer :)

Can you put up some photos of your alpha tank setup? Do you use a filter etc?
 #58  by opae ula related

odin wrote:Sounds interesting! I may have to get some this summer :)

Can you put up some photos of your alpha tank setup? Do you use a filter etc?
My first tank. They are hiding of course. :cry:

Just a simple tank with no filter.
Attachments:
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 10636 times
 #60  by odin

I like that a lot!, i have a sea fan skeleton but i ran out of room to put it in my tank, i had to import it from the US over here in the UK. I'm not sure if im aloud any more shrimp tanks :)