Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #3471  by Futtergarnele

Hello my name is Tobias,
I am from Germany, my English is not the best and I finally got some Opae Ula in March 2017 after 2 years of "preparation" for my 90 litre tank.
I found the website a few weeks ago but only read the articles. Hopefully I will become more active here now with my 24 larva and a third berried female.

One question: "Do I need to feed the larva with additional food, or will they find enough in my two year old algae tank?"

29575996pq.jpg
29575996pq.jpg (89.77 KiB) Viewed 7384 times
 #3472  by odin

Futtergarnele wrote:Hello my name is Tobias,
I am from Germany, my English is not the best and I finally got some Opae Ula in March 2017 after 2 years of "preparation" for my 90 litre tank.
I found the website a few weeks ago but only read the articles. Hopefully I will become more active here now with my 24 larva and a third berried female.

One question: "Do I need to feed the larva with additional food, or will they find enough in my two year old algae tank?"
29575996pq.jpg
29575996pq.jpg (89.77 KiB) Viewed 7383 times

Welcome to the Opae ula forums! That is a great tank you have and you must be doing a fine job with the shrimp as they are breeding. With the larvae you don't need to feed them, they will feed from an 'on board' supply of food they carry in a yolk sac, after a few weeks they will morph into small shrimp and you will see them sitting on the tank walls for a while then they will disappear and hide until they get bigger so don't worry if you don't seem them.
 #3902  by Otter

Hello, Thank you for letting me join the group. I have had 3 small Opae ula tanks since 2005 they have all had babies and done really well for me for all these years. I have finally decided to move them to a larger tank and recently set up a 12 gallon aquarium for them. They have always done so well I did not want to move them but as I have moved a few over to the larger tank it is so cool to see them enjoying the larger space. Nice to see all the cool setups here, John
 #3903  by odin

Welcome to our forum @Otter ! I hope you will find this site useful and fun to use, I wouldn’t worry about moving them all over as I have moved mine and I’m so glad i did. They are very hardy and as long as you are gentle while netting them you will do just fine. Keep us all up to date with how the transition goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #3908  by opae ula related

Welcome Otter, you have pics of your setup?

Fellow Northern California, what city you in?
Last edited by opae ula related on 29 Sep 2017 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
 #3923  by Otter

Thanks Odin and Opae related,

These are not the best photos but here they are.
These 3 are the ones I have had for 12 years

This is my new 12 gallon tank I have moved one of the smaller tanks over so cool to see them in the larger space.

I live in Santa Rosa area, John
Attachments:
b2HdbiA.jpg
b2HdbiA.jpg (68.88 KiB) Viewed 7382 times
HKHa4bR.jpg
HKHa4bR.jpg (69.24 KiB) Viewed 7382 times
tgjEIrR.jpg
tgjEIrR.jpg (56.19 KiB) Viewed 7382 times
 #3945  by odin

I just read the news and the situation looks awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro