Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4323  by odin

Ann wrote: 20 Jan 2018 23:31 After flip flopping back and forth, I've finally decided to take the plunge. I will get some Opies. No other shrimp compares. The Forum has grown!
Ann
That’s great news Ann! Glad to have you back on the forum!
 #4349  by pentux

My tank is finally here! Gonna custom make an acrylic cover for it as it is very open.
There is some sticky glue stain on the inner sides, not gonna use any chemical substance to clean it off..tried using tissue witb water but not fully clear. Hope the shrimps will do fine in the later stages.

Time to get gravel, marine salt and distilled water
ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #4350  by pentux

Water cycling in progress...gonna buy good bacteria later to speed up the process...

Filled up to 10.5l in this tank...

So exciting!

Bought water test kit from amazon as it is so much cheaper but will take at least 2 weeks to reach SG
ImageImageImageImage

#4351  by pentux

Weifoong wrote: 18 Jan 2018 14:55 Image
pentux wrote:Hi @Weifoong ,
welcome. yes i would appreciate how you setup your tank. I will also buy some ornaments from aquariums to add into my tank after my tank arrives.

so did u purchase those drinking distilled water and mix it with marine salt to make your brackish water? i have purchased a refractor already but not sure whether i require those water testers...
Hi @pentux
U can get distilled water from supermarkets n mix it with marine salt (from LFS).IMG_20180118_222910.jpg
Then test salinity with ur hydrometer.
I decided to get a refractometer.
IMG_20180118_223026.jpg
Ornaments or anything u need to buy, I can share contact with you n even home breeder contact as they sell opae ula at cheaper rate than shops.
After you set up your tank n start cycling, you need to get test kits to test the water.
For me, I get those liquid test kits to test for ammonia, nitrite and PH. I don't recommend test strips as results maybe inaccurate.
I also dose with nitrifying bacteria to start up my tank..
Perhaps, @odin and other veterans will help give a tip or two to start new tank cycling successfully?
Thanks Weifoong :happy:
when do you start adding in the nitrifying bacteria?
 #4354  by odin

No harm in adding it in strait away if you have all your salt mixed into your water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4357  by pentux

odin wrote:No harm in adding it in strait away if you have all your salt mixed into your water.

Yes i have added 5ml already..estimate this is the required volume

#4383  by Weifoong

Hi All,

Do u think the pump selected by @pentux is suitable?
Will shrimps be sucked into the pump? Since it is submersible, pose problem for maintenance ?
 #4384  by pentux

Weifoong wrote:Hi All,

Will shrimps be sucked into the pump? Since it is submersible, pose problem for maintenance ?
Hi Weifoong, the pump came free with the tank. I don’t mind not using it since I also do not want to maintain an additional item. Just curious whether anyone else likes having a pump with their opaes

#4385  by odin

pentux wrote:
Weifoong wrote:Hi All,

Hi Weifoong, the pump came free with the tank. I don’t mind not using it since I also do not want to maintain an additional item. Just curious whether anyone else likes having a pump with their opaes

The pumps are not needed but you can use them if you wish so long as they can’t get sucked into the pump. Opae ula like still water conditions and tend to hide and stay hidden if there is a lot of water movement from pumps etc.

If you wish to use it and the intake holes are big enough for the shrimp to get inside or get sucked in then you can buy some tights that women wear or some very fine netting and wrap the pump in it to stop them getting in. I’d personally not bother with it myself.

#4386  by Weifoong

Just curious, @pentux ,
R u putting in some moss balls ?
Add greenery to your tank...
Actually @odin , I do have an overhead filter n just recently thought of way to reduce water movement from filter by placing a filter net at outlet of filter.