A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

■ Our Opae ula shrimp web store is now open! We are selling Opae ula Shrimp via our eBay store HERE
This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4541  by odin
 28 Feb 2018 18:07
When i was around 16 my then girlfriend purchased one of these for my birthday:
Cf7tcbyUYAAqbl6.jpg (15.58 KiB) Viewed 274 times
I cant fully blame her because i wanted one for ages and the shrimp survived/lasted for around 2 years, once they died i used the ball as an ornament but my dog knocked it over and it smashed on the floor. I wanted to know for ages what the shrimp were but i couldn't find any information online at the time as that was about 17 years ago. At around 2015 i looked into these shrimp again and found what they were and had to get some so i did my research and with some trial and error i got a decent amount of happy and breeding Opae ula shrimp! I already had freshwater shrimp for a number of years previously so i wasn't 'new' to keeping shrimp.

It wasn't the easy factor to keeping these shrimp that made them so attractive to keep but how long they live for and how adaptable they are and i found this amazing. Not many people in the UK keep this shrimp and they were incredibly hard to source over here so that is where i thought id do my part and help get these guys available for everyone in the UK to enjoy. With their numbers dwindling in the wild i think its important to keep this species alive. :happy:
 #4542  by opae ula related
 28 Feb 2018 20:30
Odin, I originally saw them in ecospheres in a store called Sharper Image in the states a long time ago (around 20+ years ago is best guess) but they were too expensive but thought they were so neat. On a trip to Oahu a few yrs back, I purchased some at the Shirokiya in the Ala Moana mall and brought them back on a plane. That was the beginning...
 #4543  by odin
 28 Feb 2018 21:29
Oh yeah the spheres were very expansive, this one was around £120 all those years back and only had around 5 shrimp in it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4548  by Vorteil
 01 Mar 2018 17:07
Sushi. Just sprinkle a bunch on top of rice or raw and down the hatch. :cry:

Actually mines the same as opae ula related. Also saw them in a huge ecosphere at Disney World in Florida.
 #4559  by odin
 03 Mar 2018 19:00
opae ula related wrote:$730!! Forget Ebay... ha
i know right! i should put my prices up :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: