Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4570  by QDanT

One of the first things I bought were x2 Marimo, when they arrived not having any Marine salt I put them in a jar of still spring water, under a 6500k light, almost instantly they started to form small bubbles and a few hours later they started to float, turned the lights off and next morning they'd sunk but started to form small bubbles as soon as I turned the lights back on, and were floating again, after a few hours. When I set the tank up I made the water in their jar SG 1.005 as a start to acclimatize them to the tank at SG 1.012. They instantly sank and for the last couple of weeks they've stayed on the bottom and not formed any bubbles, though they've stayed green. Today I took one out of the SG 1.005 water and put it in a jar of still spring water, instantly it started to make small bubbles. I don't think they like salt ? and just shut down to wait for a change of water ? Plan 'B' is to set up a small fresh water tank with x3 White Cloud Mountain Minnows and the Marimo next to the Shrimp tank.
SG 1.005
Marimo 2.jpg
Marimo 2.jpg (51.87 KiB) Viewed 8639 times
1/2 hour back in spring water
Marimo 1.jpg
Marimo 1.jpg (49.43 KiB) Viewed 8639 times
 #4571  by odin

That’s interesting, it would also be good to see what the very minimum amount of salt can be used with these so as not to upset them like you have shown in your photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4582  by QDanT

I added the 2nd. Marimo (on the left) from the SG 1.005 water to spring water this morning
Marimo 3.jpg
Marimo 3.jpg (69.23 KiB) Viewed 8630 times
within 30 minutes
Marimo 4.jpg
Marimo 4.jpg (51.08 KiB) Viewed 8630 times
Marimo 5.jpg
Marimo 5.jpg (55.4 KiB) Viewed 8630 times
I'm not saying all Marimo are the same, but as an observation mine don't seem to like SG 1.005 never mind SG 1.012
 #4626  by Artemis

That's super interesting. I have some marimos in my tank over a year and they usually have only one or two bubbles on them (sg of 1.012ish). However, they have stayed green and I could swear they've grown. The green slime that grows in the glass and plastic plants produces bubbles constantly so conditions are otherwise good for photosynthesis.
 #4628  by QDanT

Hi Artemis, I guess that there's different strains of Marimo, it's fun to watch mine in Spring water bubble up when lights (6500k) turn on, slowly become buoyant then bob to the surface :smile:
I'm going to add Chaetomorpha Macro Algae to the Shrimp tank as a Nitrate control when it's cycled and slowly add Marine salt to the small fresh water tank the Marimo are in, to a level that they still bubble up. Then use it as a Zebra Nerite Snail Hotel if they're eating the Shrimp tank Algae too fast
 #4640  by tzg

I went to my LFS to purchase marimo balls, however all of them are in fresh water tank. I told the LFS that im getting them for my shrimp tank which is not fresh water and they say the marimo will die. So can we put a fresh water marimo ball into our opae ula tank since opae ula tank is not as salty as the sea?
 #4649  by tzg

thank you for the advice, i just came back from LFS and saw a big moss ball which i wanted but the shop seller said it was not marimo. Can i still get it for my tank?
Attachments:
WhatsApp Image 2018-03-15 at 14.36.01.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-03-15 at 14.36.01.jpeg (123.29 KiB) Viewed 8433 times
 #4651  by odin

I’m interested in knowing what they are if they are not Marino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4653  by tzg

i asked the seller but he said he doesnt know too. maybe i will get one and put into my tank during cycling and see how it goes.