Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4591  by KarstShrimp

Oh I forgot about the filter. My personal experience with the filter hasn't been good for breeding. The fluval edge I have has water output right at the top so even at the lowest flow it creates a current in the tank. My shrimp only started breeding after I stopped using the filter. Eventually I took it out altogether. For my fluval spec, I didn't install the filter at all. And it cycled much faster than the edge.
 #4592  by odin

Yup i stay away from filters too, it does feel a bit wrong to start out but they really are not needed. :lol:
 #4596  by Munchkinmama

Hi guys,
Thanks for your advice. Ive read and watched so much on these little shrimp and I feel daft I didn't listen to the voice in the back of my head when the guy said tap water etc. Anyway, I've take the rock out and am going to buy some RO water and thoroughly wash everything ( with the ro ) b4 refilling with the ro. I just need a day off work to get out and buy some!!!!!;! Do you recommend anything in particular for buffering? Also, when I get evaporation, would you always top up with ro ( if you began with that ) or does it matter if it's distilled? Karstshrimp - have you covered the underside of the filter on the fluval with anything or have your shrimp been ok?
Thanks for your help, :)
Alexandra :)
 #4598  by odin

You can top off with pure RO or distilled so don’t worry about that bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4600  by KarstShrimp

It's definitely a lot of work setting up any aquarium. At least there isn't much maintenance involved with this type. Anything that's calcium carbonate will buffer the water. Coral pieces, crushed coral, limestone etc. If you're going to use the filter I'd cover the intake with sponge, cus the shrimp will go in there and get stuck. Your water should be pristine even without the filter.
 #4609  by Munchkinmama

I managed to find time yesterday to buy my RO water.......so, I thoroughly washed everything including tank, sand, plants , filter etc etc and removed the large rock. I've set it all back up now ( with marine salt and some beneficial bacteria ) so will now play the waiting game lol!
 #4612  by odin

Awesome stuff! Looks like the hard part is done and now the boring wait for some green algae to show up. :tongue:
 #4616  by tzg

Hijack a bit, im setting up a new tank and have washed n setup all my interior decor. If i bought the opaes and brackish water from a seller, can i just pour the brackish water and the shrimps into my new tank right away?