Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #487  by Superdurian

uploadfromtaptalk1464700628643.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1464700628643.jpg (27.22 KiB) Viewed 6726 times
Is it berried???

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Attachments:
uploadfromtaptalk1464700589559.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1464700589559.jpg (27.22 KiB) Viewed 6726 times
 #488  by odin

Hi Superdurian, i cant really tell from the photos but i cannot see any eggs, a good sign to see if she becomes berried is her swimmeretes (swimming legs) become fanned out constantly and don't tuck back under her body. You should see eggs arrive after that stage.
stripe01.jpg
stripe01.jpg (52.73 KiB) Viewed 6724 times
Like this. ^
 #489  by Superdurian

odin wrote:Hi Superdurian, i cant really tell from the photos but i cannot see any eggs, a good sign to see if she becomes berried is her swimmeretes (swimming legs) become fanned out constantly and don't tuck back under her body. You should see eggs arrive after that stage.
stripe01.jpg
Like this. ^
What are those dark thing on my shrimp? Are those their organ or eggs?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
 #490  by odin

With normal freshwater shrimps its a good indicator that the shrimp is female and its their 'saddle' showing, which are undeveloped eggs in the ovaries that start behind the eyes pretty much but with Opae ula its very difficult to distinguish between a saddle and their internal organs as they both look like a dark patch, you could very well be looking at a male Opae ula. Some of mine have black marks, green, white all sorts of shapes too so it can be confusing.

Just keep an eye out for the legs being constantly fanned out and you will know eggs may be on the way :sidesmile: