Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #672  by odin

If I was to just pick a starting point to try I would have a full saltwater tank for the larvae, problem is I know very little about having correct marine perameters to keep the plankton happy and living.
 #677  by odin

opae ula related wrote:http://m.marinedepot.com/products/sc151 ... roup=false

Feed with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Combine that with full salt water and biodigest and you should be able to have good water parameters while constantly feeding the tank? Worth a shot if I ever get any larvae :D

http://www.prodibio.com/bacteria-tank-d ... filtration
 #679  by odin

Do you think the berried female makes her way towards a higher SG of salt water? If their yolk sacks last up to 5 or 6 days then I'm surprised any make it back.
 #680  by opae ula related

My understanding is just the larvae makes it's way to the ocean and leave the anchialine pool. Once they are developed, then they makes it's way back to the anchialine pool.

The yolk sacks are enough for them to get to the ocean. The numbers are so few because the survival is probably low in the open ocean.
 #681  by opae ula related

Also in the picture. You notice the spear on the first pleopod section of the body. It shows up after the first molt and can extend 4 times it's original length. Probably uses this to protect himself or/and use it to catch prey in the open ocean.
 #682  by odin

You could be right with that, looks like an offensive or defensive mechanism, cant see it being used for anything else.
 #684  by odin

I purchased 1 of these cheap plastic 10litres (2.6 US gallon) tanks to setup as a breeder tank, should I use live sand with full marine water or just crushed coral?

I need another heater now lol, think I better research marine tanks and see what I can get away with not having, I'm not having live rock, power heads or anything like that, just enough to keep plankton alive.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (70.64 KiB) Viewed 7049 times