Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4618  by odin

Congratulations! I'm not sure on the time frames for these to be honest but maybe @opae ula related can chime in?
 #4621  by Weifoong

odin wrote: 11 Mar 2018 11:13 Congratulations! I'm not sure on the time frames for these to be honest but maybe @opae ula related can chime in?
Hi @Beano , @opae ula related & @odin ,
Have u all been successfully in breeding the Alpha's larvae ?
I heard success rate is very low.
Hopefully u all have some experience to share.

Thks
Weifoong
 #4622  by odin

Shamefully i've never done much with my Alpha tank, they all carry eggs but because i don't know which are which i don't know what stage/time frame to apply to each shrimp for stages of being berried. I haven't confined any berried shrimp on their own so the larvae always got eaten i presume in the night when they got released. I have around 20 in my tank.
 #4623  by Weifoong

odin wrote: 11 Mar 2018 13:22 Shamefully i've never done much with my Alpha tank, they all carry eggs but because i don't know which are which i don't know what stage/time frame to apply to each shrimp for stages of being berried. I haven't confined any berried shrimp on their own so the larvae always got eaten i presume in the night when they got released. I have around 20 in my tank.
Hi @odin ,
In this case, let me try to check with the home breeder who sells me the Alpha.
He briefly told me that he did separate his berried Alpha n wait for the larvae to release.
I never expect for alpha to get berried so fast about one month plus after I gotten them from the home breeder.
Hopefully he can share how to raise the larvae as I really don't know if I should be setting up another tank for berried mummy now.
 #4624  by odin

Weifoong wrote:
odin wrote: 11 Mar 2018 13:22 Shamefully i've never done much with my Alpha tank, they all carry eggs but because i don't know which are which i don't know what stage/time frame to apply to each shrimp for stages of being berried. I haven't confined any berried shrimp on their own so the larvae always got eaten i presume in the night when they got released. I have around 20 in my tank.
Hi @odin ,
In this case, let me try to check with the home breeder who sells me the Alpha.
He briefly told me that he did separate his berried Alpha n wait for the larvae to release.
I never expect for alpha to get berried so fast about one month plus after I gotten them from the home breeder.
Hopefully he can share how to raise the larvae as I really don't know if I should be setting up another tank for berried mummy now.
That would be great, if you find anything out please keep us all informed! :wink:
 #4631  by opae ula related

Weifoong wrote: 11 Mar 2018 13:17
odin wrote: 11 Mar 2018 11:13 Congratulations! I'm not sure on the time frames for these to be honest but maybe @opae ula related can chime in?
Hi @Beano , @opae ula related & @odin ,
Have u all been successfully in breeding the Alpha's larvae ?
I heard success rate is very low.
Hopefully u all have some experience to share.

Thks
Weifoong
Beano is the man with the larvae! I have one female and one male so I can observe some things compared to someone with more than one female. I think the time frame is from 2 to 3 weeks but the last time she was berried was June of last year. :upset:

But I do believe they eat their young and since there are Opae Ula in the tank, I also believe they eat the larva of Opae Ula.
 #4825  by Beano

Sorry for delayed input as I’ve been busy with work. The lohena will go through berried stage for 3-4 weeks. You need to remove the berried lohena into a separate breeding box and tank. I use a guppy breeding box with narrow slats for the larvae to swim out to escape the mother lohena. You need to do this because lohena eat their young. I saw it happen with my own eyes. :what: You then need to transfer the larvae to a higher salinity tank. Otherwise they will die within 24-36 hours. So far, transferring them to a 1.018-1.020sg tank keeps them alive for a week. I have not successfully kept them alive any longer than that. I tried all kinds of feed but nothing works so far.