Opaeula.co.uk

THE forum and online store dedicated to Halocaridina rubra aka the Hawaiian Opae ula shrimp! 

■ Our Opae ula shrimp web store is now open! We are selling Opae ula Shrimp via our eBay store HERE
This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #3986  by odin
 31 Oct 2017 09:22
Looks very practical, I wasn’t aware they ate their young as rampant as that.. I thought I’d at least see some the next day or there abouts lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #3990  by odin
 31 Oct 2017 17:05
Have you tried feeding the larvae ‘green water’?

#3992  by Beano
 04 Nov 2017 00:36
odin wrote:
31 Oct 2017 09:22
Looks very practical, I wasn’t aware they ate their young as rampant as that.. I thought I’d at least see some the next day or there abouts lol.

They love to eat anything that moves. One time I did a test by dropping shrimp food pellets in the tank. No immediate reaction. I then dropped in live baby brine shrimp...immediate feeding frenzy :lol:
 #3993  by Beano
 04 Nov 2017 00:42
opae ula related wrote:
31 Oct 2017 17:00
Nice! What is your way of capturing the berried mom?
Catching them from the main tank is the most painful part. They can “teleport” real quick in the blink of a eye. Earlier I used to removed all my tank decor and used 2 small nets to catch the mama. But lately I realized that as the berried alpha gets more advance in the pregnancy, they like to hide in my coral rock that has crevasses. I now slowly lift that coral rock with them clinging on it into the breeding tank. Once I do so they swim out and it’s easier to catch them there and place them in the smaller breeder box
 #3994  by Beano
 04 Nov 2017 00:47
opae ula related wrote:
31 Oct 2017 17:01
I ask if you live the ocean is to actually use ocean water for the larvae. Maybe an aquarium store can supply you ocean water? Just a thought
Yup, I have experimented with real seawater too as I have a seafood supplier friend who gets his water from the sea to keep his live prawns and lobsters. The larvae still die as quickly, so I really think they are starving. I have tried 1.010, 1.014, 1.018, 1.020, 1.026 and 1.030 salinity. . All die in about a week.
 #3995  by Beano
 04 Nov 2017 00:49
opae ula related wrote:
31 Oct 2017 17:03
If you have video, maybe upload to Youtube? You might be the first.
Maybe if I successfully figure out the formula to keep them alive till adulthood. It’s also tough getting clear shots being tiny and transparent :smile: