Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #3813  by odin

Those look awesome man and i love the Totoro figures :lol: I just fed mine a few flakes tonight and they all went crazy happy lol.
 #3820  by odin

This is perfectly normal behaviour for them! They always jump around and act surprised when they meet each other face to face lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #3825  by Beano

I noticed that they occasionally have a mischievous streak. They will occasionally sneak up and poke another lohena who jumps away in shock. And then the perpetrator moves to another lohena to do it again.........really juvenile behavior :sidesmile: I am losing hope that my lohena will ever berry :sidesmile:
 #3828  by odin

Don't panic they will become berried in time, I'm more upset that they never release them or get near that stage with the eggs they carry. :cry: :cry: :cry:
 #3829  by Beano

Odin, the chap who sold me one of my lohena told me that the lohena eat their young. Once the larva are released, we need to quickly remove the larva to a full seawater marine tank. The problem is how do we react quickly enough to move the larva the moment they pop out of the berried lohena. I am thinking of getting the vossen larva trap once i see a berried lohena.
 #3830  by odin

That's very interesting indeed, i do have a fair few that get berried alot but i have never seen anything come of them... i will keep watching them like a hawk when i can! Thanks for the information.
 #3831  by opae ula related

Yeah, easier said than done. I never saw larva too. One way is to catch the Alpha when they are berried into a brackish only tank with no rocks, gravel etc. and wait for larva. Even if that is successful done, the other problem of feeding them successfully to mimic the ocean.
 #3832  by Beano

if we are able to avoid the larva being eaten. That's 50% of the breeding problem solved. :smile: I like the opae ula related's idea of moving the berries shrimp to a separate tank. But I think you still need to get a vossen larva trap unless we are sure the mother shrimp doesn't eat her own young. If she lays them in the night, the larvae will "disappear" again if she does eat her young. :omg: