Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #690  by Ann

Would adding one of these crabs be safe for the shrimp and crabs or even wise?
Thanks,
Ann
 #692  by opae ula related

I personally keep them together. I see them at the beaches on the Big Island.

They are fun to watch but they are not going to live as long as opae ula. Since you are starting off with a new tank, probably later if you are thinking about it and the most 1 in your 2 gallon tank.
 #693  by Ann

Thank you for the good advice. The video is funny. The one on the left keeps swinging his claws at nothing. I think that I could fight better than that.
Ann :laugh:
 #712  by Ann

He's adorable. The music fits him perfectly.
Ann
 #826  by opae ula related

Halocaridina wrote:Definitely very cool. Does anyone here keep them with volcano shrimp? I've heard they need a lot more feeding than the shrimp.
I do. I feed them around once a week. The volcano shrimp eat after they finish or what they don't eat.

Here is a video of one getting out of a molt.

#828  by Ann

What a struggle! Reminds me of trying to get out of bed in the morning. :wink:
The shrimp look as if they are trying to help him or are just curious. Great video!
Ann
 #829  by Halocaridina

Ann wrote:What a struggle! Reminds me of trying to get out of bed in the morning. :wink:
The shrimp look as if they are trying to help him or are just curious. Great video!
Ann
I have heard shrimp like to eat their own molted exoskeletons, so maybe it is the same here?
 #830  by Ann

Most likely. They're smart to stay away from those pincers.
Ann