Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #4015  by odin

Have you tried dosing biodigest in your tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4016  by Halocaridina

Yes, every time I check on the tank (usually around one per month) I dose one vial of biodigest.

I am thinking about trying UltraLife Blue Green Stain Remover, which is a biological cyano treatment which is apparently invertebrate-safe and has good reviews.
 #4028  by odin

I still cant believe how much algae/slime you can grow in your tank lol, very interesting to say the least.
 #4039  by Halocaridina

Yeah, it is even stranger given I have not fed the tank for almost a year now. I can only assuming the nutrients are coming from chaeto die-off.
 #4183  by Halocaridina

I turned the lights off on the tank yesterday to get rid of the cyano. Will keep it going for a few weeks.

Saw the tank again for the first time on Saturday. Not much has changed. The glass on the sides is mostly clear and one of the rocks seems to be free of cyano, but the rest of the tank is still totally coated. Diatoms still forming a brown film on the surface, which I removed, but will grow back in a few days. Both snails still alive and healthy. Shrimp seem healthy and active, I saw one that was berried.
 #4198  by odin

That's good news about the snails and shrimp being fine, how long have you had the snails for now?
 #4240  by Halocaridina

odin wrote: 15 Dec 2017 21:08 That's good news about the snails and shrimp being fine, how long have you had the snails for now?
Just over 7 months now.

The blackout + some Easy Life Blue Exit has had a good effect, a lot of the cyano has died off except what is at the bottom (none left at the back, on the heater and very little left on the rocks). I will probably do a gravel vac within the next few weeks to remove some of the dead matter. I think the cyano die off has helped the chaeto, which is growing well now. Water clarity is very good now too, essentially transparent.
 #4310  by odin

Hello @leelopez what is it we can help you with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4518  by Halocaridina

I gravel vacuumed and did a 70% water change on Friday, as well as adding more Blue Exit and BioDigest. Will next see the tank on Monday morning. Crossing my fingers that the gravel vac didn't provoke a cloudy white bacterial bloom. I am also getting a new phone tomorrow (my previous one broke) so should have photos on Monday.