Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #4515  by pentux

Distilled water Odin. I am waiting to see the effects of the snail and 2 leftover shrimps to decide whether i should change the water.

It looks to be growing biofilm currently. Not sure whether I should disturb it.
I guess I might try adding a few drops of Quick Start to lower the ammonia slightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #4516  by odin

Yeah that would be a good idea if you can’t change any water. Let us know how you get along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4526  by pentux

So far after few days of monitoring, shrimps n snail still surviving.

Bought spirulina powder n sprinkled some on the water. My water is still cloudy after 2 weeks. Hope it evebtuslly clears up.Image

Also added in hygrophila, cant find much info on this plant though but the shop staff says it can survive in brackish water.
ImageImage

#4629  by pentux

I was away for a whole week attending course..didnt switch on lights and algae seemed to have grew Image

What are these growing on my plant? Should I take the plant out?

Algae on substrate

Dirty water. Haha...

Anyway if I were to test the water, I would end up scooping up those top layer stuff which are probably good nutrients for my snail. How do the others do it?

#4630  by odin

Well your tank seems to be maturing that’s for sure! I would remove that dying plant ASAP as it will start breaking down, also you should try and get a syringe to extract water from your tank so as not to put the glass vials into your water.. you never know if you have any left over test chemicals in them and you don’t want that leeching into your water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4632  by pentux

Thanks Odin for the advice. I have removed the plant today and it broke into pieces. i guess it died terribly. poor advice from the staff selling me that plant. i guess i will just stick to marimo balls for now.

I have also bought a syringe to collect the water for testing instead of dipping the whole tube...silly me :oh:
 #4786  by pentux

Finally ready for more shrimps. Total of 14 inside the tank now with 2 snails.

Shrimps resting now ..earlier they were swimming around rapidly

ImageImage
ImageImageImage