Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #940  by jonesinfershrimp

hi, im new to this forum. i'd like to share my 40 breeder setup for my opae ula.

i started with 37 shrimps, i ordered 40 total but 2 didnt survive the trip and one died in the tank after the initial transfer from the shipping bag.

i set up the tank and waited 2 months to add anything. i then added some macro algae and some trumpet snails. then i waited another 2 months and put in the shrimp. since i waited till april to add the shrimp,i wasnt expecting any breeding activity until next year. but in may i saw the first berried shrimp! about a month later i had larva, 21 to be exact! just today the larva are becoming benthic. i actually watched a couple of the floaters swim to the algae and crawl inside. they should all be benthic by tuesday.

there is another 3 berried mommas which have close to the same amount of berries as the first one did. so im hoping by the new year ill have about 100 little shrimps should all the larvae survive. but judging on the first batch it shouldnt be an issue.

when i can get some pictures that arent over 2MB ill post some. i have a macro lense set coming in by the end of the week!
 #947  by odin

Welcome to the forum jonesinfershrimp! I see you must be doing a great job with your Opae ula shrimp if they have settled in and bred that fast :grin: Please post some photos up when you get a chance for us all to see, i will take a look at the 2mb limit and try and change it to make life easier but for now i just open my photos in MSpaint which is built into windows and just reduce the photo size to 40% and save it.

What size tank do you have? id love to hear what water stats you have if you are able to measure them as you seem to have the perfect setup, best of luck with the babies.
 #951  by odin

@jonesinfershrimp I have adjusted the server to accept larger photos, any issues then don't hesitate to get in contact :happy:
 #952  by jonesinfershrimp

:smile: thanks!! most of the pictures are 2.5mb so not much bigger!

ok, i have a 40US gallon Breeder tank, so thats like ~152l i think. 36 x 18 x 17 in inches. no heater, no filter.

i dont have any testing kits and i do nothing to this tank.
its decorated with crushed coral and shell substrate, lava rocks, and black sand down the center. you can see the macro algae there. pretty neat stuff. these are older pictured from a few months ago, it takes up much more space now. in there is also pieces of glass i collected from the sea.the lights are on about 12 hours a day, ive never fed he shrimp. theres so much algae growing i dont think ill ever have to feed the tank. oh i almost forgot (im pretty excited about this part!!) i only have 2 floating larvae left! i see the rest swimming around already!! :laugh: now just to wait for the other mommas to drop their young!
Attachments:
IMG_0425.JPG
IMG_0425.JPG (286.07 KiB) Viewed 10022 times
IMG_0979 (2).JPG
IMG_0979 (2).JPG (157.73 KiB) Viewed 10022 times
IMG_0961 (2).JPG
IMG_0961 (2).JPG (142.69 KiB) Viewed 10022 times
IMG_0955.JPG
IMG_0955.JPG (295.33 KiB) Viewed 10022 times
IMG_0955 (2).JPG
IMG_0955 (2).JPG (155.66 KiB) Viewed 10022 times
IMG_0891 (2).JPG
IMG_0891 (2).JPG (110.87 KiB) Viewed 10022 times
IMG_0857 (2).JPG
IMG_0857 (2).JPG (286.78 KiB) Viewed 10022 times
IMG_0838.JPG
IMG_0838.JPG (256.19 KiB) Viewed 10022 times
 #954  by Ann

Thanks for the pictures! Your tank looks very nice. I like the landscape. I'm very interested in your progress.
Ann :smile:
 #955  by odin

What an awesome tank! The whole thing looks impresseive :happy: and the glass stuff just gives it that finishing touch.

Thanks for the share and keep us updated with photos and stuff of the berried mom shrimps!
 #958  by jonesinfershrimp

Thanks! :grin2: its a work in progress. i want to add some height to the tankscape. not sure what to do for that yet. any suggestions? im hoping i can squeeze in about 3000 MAYBE 4. im probably up to over 100 snails by now. started with 10 lol. i have no more floaters as of today, theyre all benthic. im hoping by Sept. 1 ill have another batch of floaters.
 #959  by odin

You could always buy some ceramic caves and build them up like these, they do lots of different types and are made by MF.:

Or you could use texas holey rock or lava rock to build up a pile against the wall/corner of the tank like this:
Taken from : https://opaeula.wordpress.com/page/5/

If i was to break my tank down to upgrade the size i would probably go with something like above.
Attachments:
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (106.71 KiB) Viewed 9998 times
dsc_0458-3b.jpg
dsc_0458-3b.jpg (108.2 KiB) Viewed 10002 times
index.jpg
index.jpg (12.55 KiB) Viewed 10002 times