Opaeula.co.uk

THE forum and online store dedicated to Halocaridina rubra aka the Hawaiian Opae ula shrimp! 

■ Our Opae ula shrimp web store is now open! We are selling Opae ula Shrimp via our eBay store HERE
Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #1861  by odin
 23 Oct 2016 11:15
Sounds good, could it of been carbon dioxide?
 #1862  by Wander
 23 Oct 2016 11:16
It might be :oh:
I was thinking it might be some chemical to ward of predators or something but i have no idea :what: :what:
 #1872  by Wander
 23 Oct 2016 15:19
Halocaridina wrote:Which type of algae did you have?
Chaeto algae, the thick kind
 #1873  by Halocaridina
 23 Oct 2016 15:26
Wander wrote:
Halocaridina wrote:Which type of algae did you have?
Chaeto algae, the thick kind
I have had a mix of both thick and thin chaeto for about 40 days now. The seller sold them mixed together as C. spiralis and C. linum respectively. The C. spiralis has mostly gone brown/clear and died off (although there are a few surviving strands), but the C. linum seems to be growing. Here are some pictures from the seller (the seller now sells 3 species mixed together, the other being C. crassa, but when I got mine it was only 2 species):
Last edited by Halocaridina on 23 Oct 2016 15:28, edited 3 times in total.
Wander liked this
 #1937  by Wander
 27 Oct 2016 11:32
This is a very crude attempt at making a sort of box for it, I have been to so many shops trying to find a lamp which lights this flask correctly but I pretty much came to the conclusion that it's pretty much impossible without some box around it..
Thing is I want the light to be bright in the back of the flask and less bright in the front so that most of the algae grows in the back. Odin, if you are going to give someone a small opae ula tank for x mas I advise not to use a lab flask. It's very difficult to light to maintain etc etc, I am probably setting up another small tank in the future but I am not 100℅ sure about it yet. There are some great options for small nano tanks and it is clear that the flask looks cool In the beginning but ends up not being very practical.Image
 #2603  by odin
 17 Jan 2017 14:16
Hey @Wander any updates on your current projects? How are you Opae's doing?