Opaeula.co.uk

THE forum and online store dedicated to Halocaridina rubra aka the Hawaiian Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos and videos of your Opae ula setups, plus keep logs or journals for others to read.
 #1806  by Wander
 21 Oct 2016 21:08
I hope i am not annoying with all these questions :upset2: :upset2:
I just want to be ready if my algae dies so that my shrimp don't have to suffer due to ammonia poisoning and i am just curious :laugh:
This picture from your journal, was this still the chaeto or was it the new macro algae? :
download/file.php?id=468&mode=view
 #1807  by odin
 21 Oct 2016 21:11
Ask as many questions as you like! That is macro algae in the photo.
 #1808  by Wander
 21 Oct 2016 21:16
Phew! :grin:
I will see what happens and keep you guys updated! :wink:
If this doesn't work out oh well.
It really confuses me, i see so many websites calling plants brackish and then the next website calls it salt or fresh it get's quite weird after a while....
All i want is to have no algae on my walls but if i buy a snail i'd have nothing to absorb the nutrients! :sad:
 #1809  by odin
 21 Oct 2016 21:18
@Wander Here's a few old photos i found, you can see the chaeto starting to die.

Last edited by odin on 21 Oct 2016 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
Wander liked this
 #1810  by Wander
 21 Oct 2016 21:26
That is so interesting! I am just wondering what caused it...
The study i red does seem to be about another strain of it but all of the strains do seem to have the same adaptability.
I'll see how this goes, i don't really know what to do when this dies.. in terms of options :/
Halocaridina liked this
 #1811  by odin
 21 Oct 2016 21:28
When i purchased some snails it introduced hair algae into my tank :angry:
 #1812  by Wander
 21 Oct 2016 21:31
I red that! That is so stupid :hmm: :sick:
I haven't yet seen hair algae in my tank.
Does the hair algae grow on the glass too?
If not i might try to make a sort of grass mat on my stones of hair algae :sidesmile:
 #1813  by Ann
 21 Oct 2016 21:39
I feel that questioning is one of the fundamentals of learning. I agree with you about conflicting advice, but I feel that Odin has the best information. He clearly uses experience and common sense throughout. Also, his presentation is clear, concise, outlined in a an organized way. That's why I will look at other sources of information, but follow Odin's.
Ann
Wander liked this
 #1814  by Wander
 21 Oct 2016 21:42
I agree 100% But Odin's algae could have died for different reasons than just being in brackish water so could Opae ula related's, but if mine dies too well i think it's pretty clear then :sick:
Ann, odin liked this
 #1816  by opae ula related
 21 Oct 2016 22:30
odin wrote:Mine didnt but @opae ula related did so you may be better asking him about the Chaeto.
I see my user name. :grin: Yes, I initially had it in the Alpha tank. Found some in this video, you can see some white/light green on the tips.