Opaeula.co.uk

THE forum and online store dedicated to Halocaridina rubra aka the Hawaiian Opae ula shrimp! 

■ Our Opae ula shrimp web store is now open! We are selling Opae ula Shrimp via our eBay store HERE
Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #1806  by Wander
 21 Oct 2016 21:08
I hope i am not annoying with all these questions :upset2: :upset2:
I just want to be ready if my algae dies so that my shrimp don't have to suffer due to ammonia poisoning and i am just curious :laugh:
This picture from your journal, was this still the chaeto or was it the new macro algae? :
download/file.php?id=468&mode=view
 #1807  by odin
 21 Oct 2016 21:11
Ask as many questions as you like! That is macro algae in the photo.
 #1808  by Wander
 21 Oct 2016 21:16
Phew! :grin:
I will see what happens and keep you guys updated! :wink:
If this doesn't work out oh well.
It really confuses me, i see so many websites calling plants brackish and then the next website calls it salt or fresh it get's quite weird after a while....
All i want is to have no algae on my walls but if i buy a snail i'd have nothing to absorb the nutrients! :sad:
 #1809  by odin
 21 Oct 2016 21:18
@Wander Here's a few old photos i found, you can see the chaeto starting to die.

Last edited by odin on 21 Oct 2016 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
Wander liked this
 #1810  by Wander
 21 Oct 2016 21:26
That is so interesting! I am just wondering what caused it...
The study i red does seem to be about another strain of it but all of the strains do seem to have the same adaptability.
I'll see how this goes, i don't really know what to do when this dies.. in terms of options :/
Halocaridina liked this
 #1811  by odin
 21 Oct 2016 21:28
When i purchased some snails it introduced hair algae into my tank :angry:
 #1812  by Wander
 21 Oct 2016 21:31
I red that! That is so stupid :hmm: :sick:
I haven't yet seen hair algae in my tank.
Does the hair algae grow on the glass too?
If not i might try to make a sort of grass mat on my stones of hair algae :sidesmile:
 #1813  by Ann
 21 Oct 2016 21:39
I feel that questioning is one of the fundamentals of learning. I agree with you about conflicting advice, but I feel that Odin has the best information. He clearly uses experience and common sense throughout. Also, his presentation is clear, concise, outlined in a an organized way. That's why I will look at other sources of information, but follow Odin's.
Ann
Wander liked this
 #1814  by Wander
 21 Oct 2016 21:42
I agree 100% But Odin's algae could have died for different reasons than just being in brackish water so could Opae ula related's, but if mine dies too well i think it's pretty clear then :sick:
Ann, odin liked this
 #1816  by opae ula related
 21 Oct 2016 22:30
odin wrote:Mine didnt but @opae ula related did so you may be better asking him about the Chaeto.
I see my user name. :grin: Yes, I initially had it in the Alpha tank. Found some in this video, you can see some white/light green on the tips.