Opaeula.co.uk

THE forum and online store dedicated to Halocaridina rubra aka the Hawaiian Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos and videos of your Opae ula setups, plus keep logs or journals for others to read.
 #1821  by Wander
 22 Oct 2016 12:05
I messed up....
I took some rocks out to clean and put them back in.
Problem is one of the stones touched just with the tip a bath of chlorine solution....
My shrimp are doing completely fine since it is sooooooooooo little chlorine but i am pretty sure ALL my bacteria are dead.
I changed the water but now i will have so much ammonia what do i do :upset: :upset:
 #1822  by odin
 22 Oct 2016 12:31
Ok dont panic, i have to ask why are you cleaning your tanks rocks? only ever clean stuff with RO/distilled water to be safe. You wont know if the bacteria died unless your water becomes cloudy in the following days/weeks as this is proof of a bacterial bloom coming back. All i advise to do is buy a water test kit and test for Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates and if you get readings of anything over 0 for Ammonia or Nitrites and the shrimps look upset then do a 50% water change to reduce it all down.

You may of got lucky this time but id advise some test strips or a liquid test kit.

Good luck!
Wander liked this
 #1823  by Wander
 22 Oct 2016 12:36
Ok i will try to get that as soon as possible!
I cleaned a few rocks because they were so so brown and stuff so....
And i normally clean stuff with our tap water which contains no chlorine as you know but i accidentally touched the rock in a bowl/bucket of chlorine cleaning solution, realizing this after the event :upset:
This happened last night and my water already has a trillion little white dots in it :sad:
 #1824  by odin
 22 Oct 2016 12:42
No point being worried as its done now :laugh: Next time just buy a nail scrubbing brush like this:

Scrub your stuff in clean RO/distilled (or in your case your water) and the dirt will go, I would buy a snail to keep your tank clean if thats what you want. Having some dirt in the tank shows its healthy though! If the shrimps start to dart around alot and not settle or go pale then i would do some water change with new brackish water.
Last edited by odin on 22 Oct 2016 12:43, edited 2 times in total.
Wander liked this
 #1825  by Wander
 22 Oct 2016 12:45
Hey thanks Odin!
Might it be handy to buy some bio digest or other bacterial colony?
 #1826  by odin
 22 Oct 2016 12:47
I forgot about that! if you add some of that it will handle most of your issues lol, be sure to check the Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates anyway because you will always be at an advantage to rectify any dangerous situations.
 #1829  by Wander
 22 Oct 2016 13:08
Okay, i'll make a trip to the shop then :smile:
I guess the lesson is that even very little chlorine so little that it does not hurt your shrimp is catastrophic :upset2:
odin liked this
 #1830  by odin
 22 Oct 2016 13:10
Yup, thats in our tap water! This is why i stress that it shouldn't be used in my guides as we are not all lucky to have un-tainted water sources :smile:
Wander liked this
 #1831  by Wander
 22 Oct 2016 13:11
Yeah i see :/
But i have been in France and stuff well they had like swimming pool water i am sure that would kill the shrimp instantly!
 #1836  by opae ula related
 22 Oct 2016 16:54
Oh o. Hope it goes well.
I don't usually clean tank rocks since there is beneficial bacteria on them and too difficult to do every so often and I am lazy. =)
Last edited by opae ula related on 22 Oct 2016 16:54, edited 1 time in total.