Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #1377  by caine

I suspect the rocks on the left just have more biofilm and so they are being lazy

I alternate between two foods. Spirulina powder from the health food store and a secret feed. The secret feed is also from tue health food store, it is a powdered lactobacillus with Vitamin C. I some weeks i feed every day, and some weeks only once. I'm not regimented about it.

When I was raising fancy caridinia shrimp, I did some research on lactobacillus and aquatic animal care. It's quite interesting.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 #1378  by odin

Oh neat, i only keep Opae ula, alphas and cherry shrimp in my community tropical tank.... why did you stop breeding fresh water shrimp?
 #1397  by caine

I started my own business and quickly found that time to care for 10 aquariums was much more time than I had I had to downsize rapidly. I currently have a little Pico reef, one Sulawesi cardinal in its own 10 gallon, chili rasboras in a 10 gallon, some white cloud mountain minnows in a10 gallon, and the opae ula.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk
 #1398  by odin

Sounds awesome! If they didn't need such regular water changes i would have lots of fresh water shrimp tanks. :laugh:
 #1407  by Ann

odin wrote:Sounds awesome! If they didn't need such regular water changes i would have lots of fresh water shrimp tanks. :laugh:
Same here. I finally found someone who would sell all male of the yellow variant of cherry shrimp, then I thought about water changes, filters, plants and everything else and I abandoned the whole idea.
Ann
 #1409  by caine

Neocaridina aren't even bad. They are generally pretty hardy. It's the fancy caridina that get you. They are lovely to watch though.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk
 #1412  by Ann

I love all pet shrimp and I'd have them coming out of the windows if I could (well, maybe not that many), but right now my capabilities are limited to Opae Ula. They are my favorite anyway. I'm waiting for an established yellow and white variant to come along. :upsidedown: