Opaeula.co.uk

THE forum and online store dedicated to Halocaridina rubra aka the Hawaiian Opae ula shrimp! 

■ Our Opae ula shrimp web store is now open! We are selling Opae ula Shrimp via our eBay store HERE
Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #4178  by opae ula related
 11 Dec 2017 23:21
The Opae Ula died in the fire? yeah no issues with really warm weather, only issues is when the water is too cold.
Vorteil wrote:
11 Dec 2017 18:48
I buddy of mine is thinking to create a bigger tank(15g) of opae. He lives on Oahu and had CRS for awhile but the fluctuations in temperature caused may to die. No chiller. His brother had a 10g full of opae till there was a fire in the store of his business and lost everything. Perfect shrimp for him. My tank in the garage has seen temps as high as 90 without issues.
 #4180  by Vorteil
 12 Dec 2017 16:57
Yes the small store that he worked out of caught fire from the restaurant next door. Completely destroyed. It was a customer of theirs that gave them the shrimp. Tank did very well.
How cold is too cold? No room here in the house so my shrimp are housed in the garage. Temps seem to hover around 71.
 #4181  by opae ula related
 12 Dec 2017 18:32
I gave Opae Ula as gifts a while back during winter and they didn't turn on heaters at night. They died so I assume 60 and below is not good.
Vorteil wrote:Yes the small store that he worked out of caught fire from the restaurant next door. Completely destroyed. It was a customer of theirs that gave them the shrimp. Tank did very well.
How cold is too cold? No room here in the house so my shrimp are housed in the garage. Temps seem to hover around 71.
 #4182  by Artemis
 12 Dec 2017 18:50
I'm pretty sure mine have seen 60 and below a few times and maybe even down to 50. They didn't seem to mind, but the larvae in the tank were developing very slowly so I moved them to work where it stays a constant 70.
 #4184  by opae ula related
 12 Dec 2017 22:12
Nice to know. 50 is really cold!
Artemis wrote:I'm pretty sure mine have seen 60 and below a few times and maybe even down to 50. They didn't seem to mind, but the larvae in the tank were developing very slowly so I moved them to work where it stays a constant 70.
 #4185  by Vorteil
 13 Dec 2017 02:49
I do have heaters just in case the temps were to drop below 65 or so but have not seen the use yet. We'll see how this winter goes.
 #4186  by Vorteil
 13 Dec 2017 03:02
Any updated videos or pics of your tank? Did the mussel survive or the baby pipipip snail?
 #4187  by opae ula related
 13 Dec 2017 04:51
Vorteil wrote:Any updated videos or pics of your tank? Did the mussel survive or the baby pipipip snail?
The original mussel is still alive/ growing and it gave two "offsprings". You can see the "offsprings" in the beginning of the video and the 2nd one at 48 second mark. I haven't seen the baby Pipipi snail since that video of it. Hope it is still alive.



Here is a video of my smaller tank with a 3.5 year old (counting from when I initially got it) Pipipi snail with a Mohawk =)

 #4188  by Vorteil
 13 Dec 2017 07:10
Cool. Thanks for taking the new video. I get tired of watching the old ones over & over again. :oh:. Now that type of algae i've only seen once before. It was a guy named Ark who sent some to me. Same person? Looks like your tank is doing great with a lot of babies swimming around.
 #4189  by opae ula related
 13 Dec 2017 17:05
=) . Yes from Ark. You still have it? I still can't seem to get the name of it, do you know?
Vorteil wrote:Cool. Thanks for taking the new video. I get tired of watching the old ones over & over again. :oh:. Now that type of algae i've only seen once before. It was a guy named Ark who sent some to me. Same person? Looks like your tank is doing great with a lot of babies swimming around.
  • 1
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21