Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #2167  by Bat

Yeah, thanks.

Delivery take a long time from Germany: six days. Fortunately opaeula are stronger: just one death, 19 alive.
 #2175  by odin

As long as they don't get too cold, beaten-up and use breather bags they should stay healthy for that amount of time in travel. But not being knocked around can never be guaranteed unfortunately.
 #2313  by Bat

Good afternoon opaeulalovers.

Maybe it's a FAQ, but I don't find the answer. One month after set up water surface biofilm still remains. What can I do?

Thanks.
Last edited by Bat on 01 Dec 2016 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
 #2369  by caine

Also laying a paper towel on top quickly then removing it also helps. Normally you could do it with surface agitation

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk
 #2373  by odin

Both great ideas guys, if you are lazy like me i just leave it there :laugh: :smile: :lol:
 #2519  by Bat

Greetings from Barcelona, opaeulalovers!!

Excuse me so long with no answers. December was hectic. But I'm back again hohohoh.

UPDATE:

Two month after setup tank seems to be mature. Brown algae cover glasses, green algae cover lava rocks. Surface biofilm tend to lose density. No feed.

I've introduced a bit of thread algae, good nitrate controllator.

About snails: I've put melanoides an theodoxus. Both are freshwater snails, but resist brackish water very well.

Girls are ok, no females berried yet. In comparison with other shrimps halocaridina way of life so sloooowly...

Last edited by Bat on 11 Jan 2017 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
 #2523  by opae ula related

That's a lot of brown algae. Do you just clean the front glass? that's what I have been doing recently. :laugh:
 #2524  by odin

I'm glad to see your tank doing so well and your Opae ula are nice and red! I wouldn't worry about the algae too much because the snail will eat alot of it. How long have you had the snail for now?
 #2527  by Bat

Yeah I just clean frontal glass. The rest are algae paradise. Food for shrimps and snails. I prefer not to feed.

About snails: I put them one month ago. Melanoides just one snail, and it have reproduced yet: hermaphrodite, you know. Theodoxus survive, but difficult to reproduce at 20C all time: they came from cold waters.
Last edited by Bat on 12 Jan 2017 19:37, edited 2 times in total.