Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #3187  by odin

opae ula related wrote:Nice lid. That should help a lot with evaporation and efficiency with heater. Does it seem brighter with this lid or about the same? Heard light transmission is better.
I've run into a issue with this new lid and because its plastic it is flexible when its warm, it has started to lift up on the corners :angry: I'm going to have the same lid made in glass in the near future lol.

1.jpg
1.jpg (781.33 KiB) Viewed 4489 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (696.72 KiB) Viewed 4489 times

The light penetration is about the same to be honest.
 #3192  by odin

I moved over more larvae to the larvae tank from the breeder tank, did i mention i hate this job!? :omg:

1.jpg
1.jpg (971.61 KiB) Viewed 4488 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (908.55 KiB) Viewed 4488 times
 #3198  by odin

15 new larvae in the breeder tank floating around this evening and a few more still hanging onto their momma shrimp. :laugh:
 #3204  by AdeDunn

Sorry, only just seen your post about the lid. Guessing you used acrylic? Switch to Lexan bud, more expensive but doesn't warp when exposed to humidity+warmth like acrylic does. It's harder to break too. Last time I bought any it cost about £35 for a 60cm x 45 cm sheet from an online plastics supplier, custom cut. Oh and better light transmission than high iron glass or acrylic, not as good as optiwhite glass but that stuff breaks easily and weighs more.

Ade
 #3205  by odin

Thanks for the reply, yeah its acrylic (perspex) and the first time I've used it but i guess you live and learn.

Looks to be around 20 larvae to move over from the breeder to the larvae tank this weekend.
Last edited by odin on 10 May 2017 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
 #3212  by odin

Make that 30+ larvae to move lol! Here is a quick phone shot:
1.jpg
1.jpg (823.47 KiB) Viewed 4487 times

Spotted a few more berried Opae's chilling on the thermometer:
2.jpg
2.jpg (709.02 KiB) Viewed 4487 times

I also took a quick photo of the larvae tank with some babies eating along side the only adult in the tank (he was the original kamikaze shrimp i added to make sure the water quality was good after setting up this tank).
3.jpg
3.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 4487 times
Last edited by odin on 11 May 2017 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
 #3218  by odin

35+ larvae... I'm going to move them over tomorrow afternoon.
 #3235  by opae ula related

You should invent something to catch them. Heavy lighted (attracted to light) tube with a pump that turns on with motion (or manual switch) that pumps them to another tank.