Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #2327  by Wojtek

Nice! This limestone reminds me of a lava rock but white.
Looks like lava, but is much heavier, with many hiding spots. Shrimps seams to be liking it :sidesmile:

nyGmyet.jpg
nyGmyet.jpg (134.29 KiB) Viewed 7920 times
1ljRTa9.jpg
1ljRTa9.jpg (167.36 KiB) Viewed 7920 times
 #2328  by odin

Limestone buffers your water perfectly too! That berried shrimp Looks like she's going to release any minute now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Last edited by odin on 02 Dec 2016 06:57, edited 1 time in total.
 #2329  by Wojtek

Limestone buffers your water perfectly too! That berried shrimp Looks like she's going to release any minute now :)
Very true! Hope to finally increase population in my tanks, we need more opae ula in the Old World :grin:
 #2336  by Wojtek

interesting comment. I don't think the book "Hawaiian Anchialine Pool" mentioned this and the comment was after the book was published. The book did mentioned there are 3 different lineages in Oahu.
I would love to read this book but can't find it at reasonable price with shipping to my country :plain: Anyway, have you ever wondered wchich opae ula lineage do you have living in your tank, and from wchich hawaii island? If yes there is a hint for you, check 47 minute of this very informative video (watch it whole when time allows, one of the best presentations on the subject ) :
http://www.nps.gov/media/video/view.htm ... E94917A8C4
Last edited by Wojtek on 02 Dec 2016 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
 #2338  by opae ula related

Wojtek wrote:
interesting comment. I don't think the book "Hawaiian Anchialine Pool" mentioned this and the comment was after the book was published. The book did mentioned there are 3 different lineages in Oahu.
I would love to read this book but can't find it at reasonable price with shipping to my country :plain: Anyway, have you ever wondered wchich opae ula lineage do you have living in your tank, and from wchich hawaii island? If yes there is a hint for you, check 47 minute of this very informative video (watch it whole when time allows, one of the best presentations on the subject ) :
Wow, Nice find!!!The speaker's work is in the Hawaiian Anchialine book. He did an awesome job in the video!!!

Personally I bought my initial Opae Ula when i was in Oahu and bought some from a buyer from the Big Island.
Last edited by odin on 03 Dec 2016 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
 #2339  by opae ula related

Wojtek wrote:
btw,
The video/conference was held at Kilauea Visitor Center in the Big Island I believe. They have a display for Opae Ula that I took a video of when I was there. It was a nice tank.

Last edited by odin on 03 Dec 2016 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
 #2342  by odin

opae ula related wrote: btw,
The video/conference was held at Kilauea Visitor Center in the Big Island I believe. They have a display for Opae Ula that I took a video of when I was there. It was a nice tank.

Oh wow that's a really cool tank, how many shrimp do you think they had in there?
Last edited by odin on 03 Dec 2016 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
 #2344  by Wojtek

Wow, I am glad that you did, what a fantastic display, thanks for sharing! I would love to replicate that beautiful background in one of my tanks. Can you tell us how it was made?