Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #3424  by AdeDunn

Right, I've sat and had a good look at the tank, so can give a better update.

I cleaned a load of dead Caulerpa material out (hence it's a bit cloudy right now), 1 small piece of prolifera is actually still hanging on (firm rhizome, green leaves) along with 2 or 3 small pieces of taxiflora. The Chaetomorpha appears to be doing well as I stated earlier, I've moved this all to the right of the tank, mainly to remove shade from the rocks directly under the light in order to try to encourage more green algae growth. I'm not convinced the little billed in LED is powerful enough to be honest, so any shade is just making things worst.

I spotted "brown algae" diatoms on some of the rocks and on the sand, as well as what looks like possibly the start of some green thread algae growing on 1 rock. No other signs of algae growth though.

#3425  by odin

Brown algae is a good sign, when are you planning on adding some Opae ula?
 #3426  by AdeDunn

odin wrote:Brown algae is a good sign, when are you planning on adding some Opae ula?
If you think it's ready, then when I have enough money to spare to get some once I find some for sale. :wink: I'm used to taking things slowly with tanks though. lol
 #3451  by odin

Those are looking really good!
 #3453  by AdeDunn

I'm really pleased with it Odin, no die off at all. Lots more places for shrimp to graze and hide when I finally put some in there. :grin:
 #3481  by AdeDunn

Kind of an update for the sake of updating here I'm afraid. The green patch on the lava rock has grown, oddly though it also looks like a teeny tiny caulerpa has started growing in the middle of it. Has me wondering if some of the stuff I lost went sexual, and is now what is forming that green blob... I will certainly be keeping an eye on it. I'll TRY to get a photo of it nice and close at some point, but making no promises. My phone camera isn't wonderful (I only have a humble Honor 5C phone. lol), and I don't own a macro lens for my dSLR. I THOUGHT I'd bought one at the same time, but it turned out to be a weird portrait lens thing with an almost identical name (Nikkon call their macro lenses micro lenses....) which an ex-friend of my wife's seems to half half inched when they stopped been friends.... :angry: Getting a good macro shot with a standard 50mm lens isn't easy. lol
 #3484  by odin

Thanks for the update, shame about the camera... those things can cost an arm and a leg.
 #3553  by AdeDunn

A very very brief update (as not much happening otherwise) to say, the copepods have arrived in this tank. lol
 #3568  by odin

Thats great news, any photos? Your tank must be about ready for some Opae ula shrimps soon.