Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #3163  by Halocaridina

I will try the snails again later this month. Have had another nitrate spike lately (not sure of the reason, but I believe it is fueling the green filamentous algae) and want that to clear up first.
Last edited by Halocaridina on 01 May 2017 16:34, edited 2 times in total.
 #3170  by odin

I have a hunch its dead plant matter from the cheato you had.
 #3184  by odin

That's awesome news man! :laugh: :wink: :happy:
 #3293  by AdeDunn

Halocaridina wrote:The green algae between the rocks at the left side of the tank has grown very fast, expanded substantially since I last saw it 6 days ago. It resembles the 'angel hair moss' from this person's video:

I will take a photo later on.
Did you spot the 3 red mangrove pods in that video? :wink: Good to see you have some algae growth going on in yours.
 #3341  by Halocaridina

So I have been busy with exams at university and haven't checked on this tank since when I last posted (5 May). Will be headed back on 3 June. Hopefully it hasn't crashed!
 #3383  by Halocaridina

Looks like brown film algae has covered the glass. The green thread algae has grown a little and become somewhat lighter in colour. I saw 1 opae ula at the back, but more may be hiding among the algae and in the rock.
 #3384  by odin

Buy a few Nerite snails :smile:
 #3389  by Halocaridina

Went to Pets at Home today. Followed instructions on bag. Float for 15 mins, then add aquarium water to bag, then leave floating for another 15 mins, then introduced snails to tank. Aquarium lights off for an hour more.

One of the snails seems active and with a healthy shell. The other seems much less active and the shell is somewhat damaged. Hopefully they both make it but my hopes aren't so high regarding the second one. In the store I tried to pick two that were hanging off the sides just to be sure they were alive, as a lot of the ones at the bottom seemed dead or empty shells.

Last edited by Halocaridina on 05 Jun 2017 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
 #3390  by AdeDunn

I believe that the majority of nerites are wild caught, hence the damages shells. I tend to just drop snails straight in to be honest, they seem to be able to acclimatise themselves somewhat. That method wouldn't do much anyway, if you really want to acclimate it's better done using the drip method. :wink: