Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #3405  by Halocaridina

odin wrote:Interesting, what SG does the chaeto usually live in?
I don't know what specifically is the average, but from what I've researched, this species is found commonly in salt marshes and mangroves as well as reefs, so I imagine it is quite tolerant.

There is one laboratory study that says it can handle anywhere between 1.000 and 1.038.

On another note, I can see the nerites' eating patterns in the brown algal film on the glass. They are already doing a great job!
Last edited by Halocaridina on 06 Jun 2017 23:06, edited 2 times in total.
 #3407  by odin

That's pretty neat, I've had better luck with the thinner ones :tongue: it still amazes me how well different plants do in some folks tanks and not in others.
 #3409  by Halocaridina

AdeDunn wrote:They're awesome for keeping glass and ornaments clean for sure!

As to Chaeto, the thing I keep reading is that the thin stuff isn't as hardy as the thick stuff, beyond that I have no idea. Found this though https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 014-0092-4
I have had the opposite experience, ordered what was marked as a mixed batch of C. linum (thinner) and C. spiralis (thicker), and C. spiralis did not grow and mostly died off quickly. It was this that caused a major nutrient spike for me earlier on and led to a shrimp die-off. From what I have read, C. spiralis is a marine only species. It is also more rigid and brittle so harder to use for any sort of ornamental purpose.

Here are some photos of the two types from the supplier:

Based on the picture in Fig.7 from the study you linked, the species described there seems more similar to C. linum.
Last edited by Halocaridina on 07 Jun 2017 12:49, edited 2 times in total.
 #3410  by AdeDunn

Ahhh heck, who knows, could even be the thin I have. lol

Was sold as just Caematophora species. Seemed thick to me, but could be the thick is even thicker still as I've never seen it. :upsidedown:
 #3413  by Halocaridina

The SG is now 1.007. Slowly raising it to 1.012. Saw 8 opae ula today. The snails are also doing good work clearing up the algae on the rocks now. I might get a small gravel vac to clear up some of the snail feces.
Last edited by Halocaridina on 10 Jun 2017 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
 #3414  by odin

That's good news, yeah you can remove the poop if its annoying you but i would probably wait until they have removed most of the algae or you will have to disturb the tank a few more times then necessary.
 #3416  by Halocaridina

odin wrote:That's good news, yeah you can remove the poop if its annoying you but i would probably wait until they have removed most of the algae or you will have to disturb the tank a few more times then necessary.
What happens when the algae runs out? I do not want them to starve to death and crash the tank.

I have also turned off the lights totally now it is getting sunnier to reduce algae growth.
 #3417  by odin

Halocaridina wrote:
odin wrote:That's good news, yeah you can remove the poop if its annoying you but i would probably wait until they have removed most of the algae or you will have to disturb the tank a few more times then necessary.
What happens when the algae runs out? I do not want them to starve to death and crash the tank.

I have also turned off the lights totally now it is getting sunnier to reduce algae growth.
You will find that once they have eaten all the brown algae they will just happily move around the tank eating algae that is hard for us to see but there is food so don't worry, i have 7 in my large tank and they just constantly graze and i don't have any 'visible' patches of algae but they are all fine. You should be able to have your tanks lights on like normal 12 hour on and 12 off with them inside cleaning up.