Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Anything and everything not related to Opae ula can go here!
 #4672  by QDanT

Passing the, I won't say LFS, as it's more a Pet shop with a few tanks I spotted one tank (no water flow) with about 5 Shrimp in, and quite a few small fish, most of the Shrimp were in a huddle not moving but one was searching the gravel which I've read means it's hungry as they're filter feeders, Atyopsis Moluccensis - Bamboo/Wood Shrimp and seen as I'd a small tank set up with nothing in - Sold ! asking the owner if they sold Liquifry I was asked what for ? to feed the shrimp untill I get an Infusoria culture going was my reply, you don't need that they eat bits of food and Algae pellets off the gravel I tried to explain that they sat on a rock etc. in a water flow and let the food come to them but it fell on deaf ears ??? Got home and rearranged the rocks in the tank to opposite the filter flow, acclimatised the Shrimp and put it in.As soon as it landed on the bottom it was off foraging I dropped a drop of Liqifry in by the filter out flow it climbed the rocks and started feeding then I added a pinhead size Spirulina Powder to tank water in a pipette and squeezed it out just in front of it, it couldn't eat it fast enough. It's exploring the tank at the moment certainly not hiding
1.jpg
1.jpg (84.36 KiB) Viewed 9099 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (87.67 KiB) Viewed 9099 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (50.56 KiB) Viewed 9099 times
all I need now is to learn the 'funny hand shake' from Odin :wink: and I'm a Shrimp Keeper :smile:
 #4673  by odin

Haha @ funny handshake, were onto funny face twitches now :lol: Those bamboo shrimps are so fun to watch aren't they! I used to have a pair in my tropical tank a few years back but one climbed out and i found it on the carpet dried out... i plopped it back in and it lived for a few weeks then died :dead:

You are onto a winner with the algae powder for it, good food source for it indeed and good on you for rescuing it.
 #4688  by QDanT

Well it's found it's favourite spot - on top of the rock pile facing the filter outflow
s1.jpg
s1.jpg (207.12 KiB) Viewed 9073 times
s2.jpg
s2.jpg (205.99 KiB) Viewed 9073 times
s3.jpg
s3.jpg (205.17 KiB) Viewed 9073 times
s4.jpg
s4.jpg (229.45 KiB) Viewed 9073 times
 #4711  by odin

They are so much fun to watch when they eat! It’s almost hypnotic. :upsidedown:
 #4725  by odin

Has he started eating from the water yet? Like grabbing up above it’s head?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4726  by QDanT

Only when I mix Liqufry and Spirulina powder in a pipette with tank water and slowly squeez it out in front of it,
it's certainly knows foods coming as it comes forward and raises fans i.e. it doesn't scuttle off but I 'd need another arm to try and record steady, I'll give it a try these were just a trial
 #4727  by odin

Hehe I had that issue so I got a tripod from the charity shop, there is always something else to buy in this hobby :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4729  by QDanT

Missing Shrimp ! came in to feed this morning, normally if the Shrimps not on top of the Lava rocks it's in the cave but not today I cann't see it anywhere. I've read that they're escape artists traveling over land between ponds in the wild so I covered the tank lid with a sheet of glass and put a light clip where the filter wire comes out
IMG_2780.JPG
IMG_2780.JPG (76.61 KiB) Viewed 9029 times
So I presume it's in there somewhere
think_1.gif
think_1.gif (1021 Bytes) Viewed 9029 times
may be it's eaten that much in the last few days it's going to shed it's skin and hidden it's self well, though I cann't see an empty skin. I'm not going to start lifting the rocks up