Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Anything and everything not related to Opae ula can go here!
 #442  by odin

Thought id post a photo of my freshwater setup! I have different colour cherry shrimp, dwarf and honey gouramis, a bulldog plec, khuli loach and an assortment of tetras, and lots and lots of assassin snails :smile:

Do any of you have a marine or freshwater setup?
Photo 26-05-2016, 21 11 03.jpg
Photo 26-05-2016, 21 11 03.jpg (189.06 KiB) Viewed 12128 times
 #445  by odin

Yup there's another one hiding on the right hand side, the shrimps like them a lot!
 #529  by odin

Here is a photo of my Bulldog pleco, its around 2 years old and it wont get any bigger.
Photo 01-06-2016, 23 15 47.jpg
Photo 01-06-2016, 23 15 47.jpg (194.07 KiB) Viewed 12100 times
 #531  by odin

The tank is 130Litres which is about 34US gallons, I had 6 lampeye killisfish at one point but i dosed the tank with melafix (a medicine) and all of the 6 died :cry: The rest of the fish were ok so maybe they were very sensitive? very pretty fish though!
 #533  by Ann

Goodness, I didn't think that you would have had such obscure fish. I guess in the UK they are more prevalent. I accidentally saw them on YouTube when I was looking for cool water fish. I thought that they were pretty fish. I do like your freshwater aquarium. Maybe someday.
Ann :smile:
 #534  by Ann

I did have tanks a long, long, time ago, but that was another time when all of this care was unknown. You were told to let your tank water sit for up to a week and then add fish. It wasn't all that successful.
Ann :upset:
 #536  by odin

That is known as a 'fish in' cycle and its still a technique used today, you have to carry out large water changes everyday until your test kit shows a zero on ammonia, nitrites and a very low nitrate reading. The fish provide waste which feeds the bacteria which in turn feeds another bacteria that results in the harmful ammonia (fishwaste) being turned into nitrates which are not as harmful to fish, you remove the build up of nitrates by doing weekly/bi weekly water changes. You can do 'fishless' cycles but with no fish to give out ammonia/waste you must add bottled ammonia to the tank and this replicates the fish waste and feeds the bacteria once it grows for the first time.