Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #4519  by reallyugly

Hi guys, stumble upon this forum when i was searching for info.
so i kinda had this tank for 2 years, only managed to breed once. so recently the filter pump broke down, and i bought a replacement, hang on back kind.
now, i wondering if i made a mistake. i see most of you guys do not even use a filter. what would you guys suggest?

i have a 4 gallon tank, 40 shrimps. 5 x 1inch mossball. 1 x snail.

thanks in advance.
 #4520  by odin

Welcome to the forum! It’s always an interesting subject when it comes to these shrimp thats for sure. Some people swear by filters but in reality there isn’t really any need for them in Opae Ula tanks. The bioload from these shrimps are extremely low and because we don’t feed often the food doesn’t contribute much to that either hence no need for the filter to harbour the beneficial on a large scale.

I always found the shrimp not liking the water moving around in my tanks from the filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4521  by reallyugly

odin wrote:Welcome to the forum! It’s always an interesting subject when it comes to these shrimp thats for sure. Some people swear by filters but in reality there isn’t really any need for them in Opae Ula tanks. The bioload from these shrimps are extremely low and because we don’t feed often the food doesn’t contribute much to that either hence no need for the filter to harbour the beneficial on a large scale.

I always found the shrimp not liking the water moving around in my tanks from the filters.
see, thats the regret part of which i'm having. however, i feel without filters, the water tend to be slightly stale. like i could smell it when i'm home. anyone else here using filters(HOB) and have successfully breed? thanks in advance.
 #4523  by odin

There is no harm having a filter so use it if you wish but just be sure the shrimp dont get sucked up into the intake.
 #4531  by odin

No problem, do you have any photos of your tank?

#4562  by reallyugly

yea, just a small 15l tank.
Attachments:
IMG_20180223_152329.jpg
IMG_20180223_152329.jpg (80.24 KiB) Viewed 10585 times
IMG_20180223_152258.jpg
IMG_20180223_152258.jpg (83.38 KiB) Viewed 10585 times
 #4563  by odin

How many shrimp do you think you have in there? It looks very nice by the way :happy:
 #4564  by reallyugly

thanks! should be about 40. they ever breed once like 2 years back. and that was it.
not sure what went wrong, but i just did a water change few weeks back. shall monitor again.
do you have any suggestions for me?
 #4565  by odin

You would have to provide your tank stats if you know what they are.

Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates
SG of salt
Temperature
Water source
PH
We can rule out age as they have bred before.
Food and feeding schedules

We can get some good ideas from that information :)