Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #1641  by Priscilla

odin wrote:Here is the stuff, its window tinting film.

XAGDU2I.jpg
XAGDU2I.jpg (23.53 KiB) Viewed 7357 times

When i asked they sent me like a 30x30cm patch of different strengths, you could do the whole of your lid or just do what i did and cut some out for the bottom of the light. I think the one i picked reduced the light pass through by 30%?

tAsDSr6.jpg
tAsDSr6.jpg (209.03 KiB) Viewed 7357 times
zSfPKLz.jpg
zSfPKLz.jpg (120.69 KiB) Viewed 7357 times
8G5aM3f.jpg
8G5aM3f.jpg (214.73 KiB) Viewed 7357 times

(The tank closer to you has the filter on the LED light.)
Just to give you some ideas if you decide to reduce the brightness, you could always do it the ghetto way and just put some card over half of the lid to make half the tank dark hehe :cool: .

Hi @odin!
Oh great idea! :laugh:
I'll try that out tmrw because I found some tinted films in at my bookstore! I think that should work too right? :huh:
Do I have to get smaller pieces of lava rocks and stack them and for a dark cave for them?
I think even with a filtered light, it will still get into and shine in their corner behind the lava rock. Should I redo their cave or leave it? :huh:
 #1642  by opae ula related

In Singapore, do they allow you to exchange the light? If you just bought it and you think it is too bright.
 #1651  by Priscilla

opae ula related wrote:In Singapore, do they allow you to exchange the light? If you just bought it and you think it is too bright.
I think they do. But I guess I'm fine with the brightness now! :smile:
Just thinking if I should redo their cave or let it be.
 #1657  by odin

If it is playing on your mind then make the change and make a cave, its better to do this now then to let them all settle and start breeding then have to uproot their tank/disturb them. Id love to re do mine but its just not a great idea as i have babies in there and i don't want to hurt any moving rocks around etc.
 #1683  by Priscilla

odin wrote:If it is playing on your mind then make the change and make a cave, its better to do this now then to let them all settle and start breeding then have to uproot their tank/disturb them. Id love to re do mine but its just not a great idea as i have babies in there and i don't want to hurt any moving rocks around etc.
Okay! I'm heading down to the LFS to get some more smaller lava rocks and stack them.
 #2028  by Halocaridina

According to Google, there are typically 12 hours of daylight per day in Hawaii. This is more than we have in the UK at this time of year, so I have set the timer on the lighting of my aquarium (3W for a 10L aquarium) for 12 hours. The shrimp seem to be content with it and the macroalgae is doing really well.

I used the blue night light mode before I got a timer, but since I got the timer, I haven't really been using that because my tank is relatively close to a window anyway and gets natural "night light" that way.