Opaeula.co.uk

THE forum and online store dedicated to Halocaridina rubra aka the Hawaiian Opae ula shrimp! 

■ Our Opae ula shrimp web store is now open! We are selling Opae ula Shrimp via our eBay store HERE
Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #73  by odin
 04 Mar 2016 23:16
yup, that's me...
 #1493  by fredanddino
 06 Oct 2016 21:58
Hello everyone,
I´m new here and very happy, that I have found this Website! :-) I am from Austria, so excuse any misspelling.

I feed my opae ula the following ( in descending order of their favorites):
- the White of a hot-boiled egg (not the yolk, it dispenses in the water)
- banana
- Avocado
- Bonito flakes (that´s pure dried Tuna, you get it in Asia Shops)
as you can see on the photo, I take a chopstick to fix it and to be able to take it out again. it is egg and it is not the peak of Attention. if I find another photo, I will show you.

fish Food:
- spirulina flakes from JBL (does contain only spirulina, no Colors or other artifical addings)
- dried algae (from a organic vegan shop, no additives)
- dennerle crustagran

so thats it, if I hope I didn´t forget anything
Kind regards,
Evi
opae ula related, odin liked this
 #1494  by odin
 06 Oct 2016 22:04
Welcome to our forum! They look like very happy Opae ula eating away! How often do you feed them?
 #1498  by fredanddino
 06 Oct 2016 22:42
thanks for the welcome, Im´glad I found you!

I read at the petshrimp site about feeding rice, but they didn´t like it very much. So I thought of other (natural) things, they would enjoy. I also fed a very small piece of frozen fish, but since I don´t eat fish anymore, I have none at home..

I do not feed them regularly, but I guess every week (mostly sunday) they get a share of my breakfast (egg, banana, etc.)
and they get the bought "fish food" also once a week, maybe twice, but a small amount.

but I have algae on the glass, so I guess, I tend to feed to much...

that´s why I do water changes about every month (but I change only 1/12 of the water)

I read what you wrote about water changes. I think, the small amount doesn´t bother them, on the contrary, I often saw berried females days after the water change (maybe coincidence)
I have the tank since 2010, so it seems to work.
 #1499  by odin
 06 Oct 2016 22:47
The Opae ula shrimp deal with water fluctuations very well so i would never be concerned that water changes are doing them any harm. You cant beat fresh water :smile: . If you keep the Nitrates down with water changes you can feed very regularly.